Props crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Actually guys, today my phantom while on ground but with armed motors leaned off and touched the ground resulted the props got a little scratch. I know it's probably nothing but i wanted to ask you, when it's not okay to flight and you should replace your props? Take a look at the photos.
IMG_0458[1].JPG
IMG_0459[1].JPG
IMG_0460[1].JPG

You should change your props whenever they become damaged (like above).

But it's veryyy minor. It's because i used dslr with much much zoom. Let me show you that with my phone camera full scale.

When props strike something, that also puts unusual stress on the hub. Since the hub is made of plastic, it could crack, strip the threads, etc. Props are cheap and I don't like to take any chances :)

Reactions: richardtomcat
I mean nothing cracked. I killed it immediatly.. I don't understands why this super minor scratch (beacuse it's a scratch) can result in something that bad.. I know they are cheap but i need to wait for a week to get them that's why i'm not changing them. However if i notice any probs i'm changing them for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Obviously, you can fly it if you want, but will we see you back here in three days wanting to know how to fix your gimbal because of a prop failure crash?

I had props like those and ran them for multiple flights. They came from my p1.1.1 originally when I started using P3 props as P1 props were more pricier due to the metal hubs. It leaned a lot of times during landing hence the scratches. When I got my P3S I used the same props. I even accidentally bent a tip while it was stored in my hprc hard case as it moved during closing. Bent it back and flew a few more times before I decided I didn't want to tempt fate and I know they may be severely imbalanced already which may cause the frame to crack. Just made sure that the hubs were snug. YMMV.

Reactions: ninosnicolaou
Ohh and i thought phantompilots forum is full of people willing to give you help. Now i understand.. Just because i'm flying phantoms less than a month doesn't mean i'm an idiot. In fact i've flown a lot of other drones much more expensive than this. And when i crash and need help for my gimbal, please don't help me. Thanks

That's what I was trying to do. Change your 5$ prop to save your 500$ drone. But like I said, you can fly it if you want, just trying to prevent further trouble. A little sensitive are we?

I told you this because it's not that much of a damage. I said before i know it way cheap and also i got a couple of spare props but i have to wait 1 week to get other spares.. Sorry if i was being rude but because you have more experience with phantoms doesn't mean you have to talk like this to someone who asks for help. You, immediatly told me if i don't change them ( your 1 post) i will come back and ask for help which is kind of disturbing..

Well, I admit that my experience with web talk is much less than my experience with phantoms. I was just trying to demonstrate that you could be back here in one scenario. I didn't mean to disturb you. I guess what I was saying is, beyond the damage you can see, the hub may be affected, or the threads like Mark said, and you wouldn't know it until the prop came off in mid flight. I would change the prop, and keep some on hand for just this kind of trouble.

I had just one prop that wasn't as bad. I wish I'd've changed my prop's -- and nothing other than DJI props. Cost me $450. So...since you're asking: change 'em. It's cheaper.

I mean nothing cracked. I killed it immediatly.. I don't understands why this super minor scratch (beacuse it's a scratch) can result in something that bad.. I know they are cheap but i need to wait for a week to get them that's why i'm not changing them. However if i notice any probs i'm changing them for sure.

Why bother to ask in the first place if this was your intent all along? Listen to the pros on here and don't take chances - props are the whole deal with flying and a slight vibration will have a negative effect on everything else.

The force at the tip of the prop versus the force at the hub - stop any rotating element other than the way it is designed and you very well could have stress fractures elsewhere -

Your call - still don't know why you asked originally though!

It could, eventually, or immediately. I have never completely trashed a prop, but I've changed a lot of em.

So you think it will cause problems?

No one can say with any certainty as to any issues with it "as is".

However when operating something that is airborne "proactive maintenance" is rule number one whenever there has been an issue such as you have experienced. By that I mean - you don't wait for something else to happen ("reactive maintenance") before you go ahead and fix/replace what you can.

You have had what you described in your title "a crash" - which by all definition of the word - means checking everything out and checking it again prior to the next flight - be PROACTIVE!.

Reactions: patman561
So i change them with the spares i got and let them sit inside the bag in case i need them sometime? The reason i insist in not changing is, in my second flight i scratched with the same way, the other 2 props, but let's say 60% of the damage these props i showed today. And nothing changed after 25 flights. Anyway

i used crashed because my main language is greek and i'm not very good with vocabulary in english;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl