props cäme off, why would that happen?

Reaction score
using original props on my v1.2 and one of my black prop caps came off during flight. so the prop came off and i crashed. i had snugged up the props and i thought this could not happen. i do have self tightening props are they better to use? thanks

That shouldn't happen since you're using cross-threaded prop nuts anyway, but as you've seen it can. The self-tightening props are more secure, since the blades help keep them screwed on as they spin.

I've only had 2 crashes with my Phantom in the 10 months I've owned it, and the first was exactly like the one you just had. I was hovering at about 40ft when one of the prop nuts flew off with the prop immediately following it. The speed at which it happened and the angle I saw it from made me think at first that someone had shot my Phantom down :D

I actually managed to find the prop nut, but never found the prop. That and one prop guard were all I had to replace, amazingly enough.

The torque from the motors is much higher than you might imagine, and the speed changes are enough to cause the props to loosen in certain circumstances.

You could try a drop of Screwlock on the threads, as this prevents them from vibrating loose.

I've not heard of the actual self-tightening props coming loose, but this isn't the first time someone has reported a self-tightening prop nut coming off. You do have to be very careful that your prop nuts are on very securely. I was flying the non-self-tightening propnuts for a while and never had them come off, but I retightened them prior to every flight.

Thanks guys, I see that I need to secure the props better then I have been. I was lucky in that I was only about 10' above ground and it hit pretty flat upside down in the beach sand. Got some sand in the motors and I think I got it all out, I don't hear anything but maybe I should open it up and make sure there is no sand stuck somewhere near on or in the motors.

Wedeliver said:
Thanks guys, I see that I need to secure the props better then I have been. I was lucky in that I was only about 10' above ground and it hit pretty flat upside down in the beach sand. Got some sand in the motors and I think I got it all out, I don't hear anything but maybe I should open it up and make sure there is no sand stuck somewhere near on or in the motors.

Yeah, be careful about sand, that can be a motor-killer...I've heard of people needing to take apart the motor and wash out or use clay (as you would with magnetic particles getting inside the bell housing) to get all the sand out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic