Propellor Speed at Idle

Reaction score
Just got my P3S and noticed not all of the propellers are spinning at the same speed when idling. Once it takes off it seems to fly fine. Is this normal or is it an indication of a potential problem. I recently had a minor crash into a tree and am wondering it that has something to do with it or whether I just never noticed it before.

I wouldn't think it's something you can see, but more like something a digital tach could tell you. Anyone?

Normal.

Prop speeds are constantly being updated independently while in flight.

Remember this is a closed-loop, fly-by-wire, control system based on the control and IMU inputs.

While it might occur, there's no need for the props to ever spin at the exact same speed.

He was asking about it being idle, not in flight. I would believe that to mean on the ground, props spinning.
In that situation I would expect the props to spin at equal speeds but wind turbulence might cause props to spin at different speeds in order for it to ensure it stays where it is and not tip.
I ran my P3A idle without props to test it after repair work. I tipped it various directions and motors changed speeds.
But all being equal and stable (level ground, no wind) any observed deviation could be an illusion.

Just got my P3S and noticed not all of the propellers are spinning at the same speed when idling. Once it takes off it seems to fly fine. Is this normal or is it an indication of a potential problem. I recently had a minor crash into a tree and am wondering it that has something to do with it or whether I just never noticed it before.
Yip sounds normal ,,I had and still got xiro Explorer which was waste of $$$$$ 3 spin got a flick 4th to spin,but still Flys,,:)you could check your blades for balance

I bought some digital tach from Harbor Freight and I was surprised that all four of mine spun around 3,090 RPM while on the ground, +/- 50 RPM I think it was. If the IMU was well calibrated on a level surface it might hold true to spin close to each other, but tilt it slightly or put it down someplace else not level as where the IMU was calibrated and the props will change speed in an effort to level it even while sitting.

More telling might be heat buildup from a sticky bearing using an IR thermometer. Never tried that though as I just feel them afterwards to see if they differ.

That's completely normal

Thanks for the help. Yes I was indeed referring to the props spinning while on the ground.

Yea I covered that in my last sentence, or I intended to.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic