Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Propellers on and off every flight?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wizaerd, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Wizaerd

I'm curious as to any common practice as it relates to propellers. Do you put them on before each flight, and take them off afterwards? Do you store them in a case with them on, or off?

2. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Props off when it goes into the hard case, props off when inside a building/house and props on after removal from hard case to fly.
    And I snug them ever so slightly with the wrench, remove without the wrench.

#2 LuvMyTJ, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    750r and dirkclod like this.
  3. msinger

Approved Vendor

I do the same -- with the exception of the wrench. I just hand tighten my props after winding them on. Call me paranoid, but I don't want my props to get bent from the foam in the lid resting on them while in the case :)

4. Cyclone

I always leave them on. Im just paranoid that if I keep removing them I might damage the thread and they become loose while in flight :eek:

5. Bryce

Agree... I leave them all the time... no need to take them off while in the case. And I can shoot very quickly... one less thing for pre-flight.

6. Matty4

Off after I finish my flights before it goes into the case (won't fit in the case with them on) and then back on after removal from case ready for next flight. Tighten and undo by hand only. Haven't needed the wrench (yet).

7. 750r

On only when flying off all other times ;)

dirkclod likes this.
  8. Adamation

+1

9. SouthernPhantom

I agree with everyone here. Leave them on where they fit or aren't a nuisance. Off where they don't fit, might get damaged, or might whack people. I've never needed a wrench with he P3. The double "vroom vroom" of the auto takeoff is designed to tighten them properly after a light hand tightening. Gentle hand removal is easy as well.

10. acherman

One less thing for pre-flight? Do you at least check to make sure they are tight? I take mine off all the time when I'm not flying. As long as you don't over tighten them, the threads should not wear out for a long time, and if you tighten them properly they won't be backing off mid flight.

11. 30secs

I used to take them off. Now I keep them on unless it's a long drive. I have a soft backpack that accommodates then in.. Sorta (top 2 props stick out a little).

12. scott rich

I have the GoProfessional case and leave them on all the time. The only time I have removed them is when I have needed to power up the P3P indoors - firmware upgrades, changing/experimenting with app settings, etc.

13. Hendricks

Hi,

I've been flying now for over a year and currently operate the Phantom II Vision Plus 3.0 and I never remove the props.
    I regularly check their tightness and every once in awhile might remove them, but, otherwise they remain on the aircraft.
    I have a Tradecraft military-spec case and my Phantom stores easily inside with the props on....nothing gets in the way and the case is designed to accommodate the Phantom with the props on.
    Along with all the other stuff I have in there.....3 batteries,tools, extra props,etc.

14. tcope

I try to make it a point to put them on before I fly. When I don't, the Phantom does not fly at all. Really just sits there and buzzes a lot.

15. Monte55

Mine does that.

16. Milehighdesign

Props stay on full time. I am using balanced carbon fiber ones now.

17. AirborneInPDX

I never took them off until I started storing the bird in my closet which is quite shallow and with them on, they took up quite a bit of space. Otherwise I leave them on.