Propeller question

Reaction score
Was browsing through Helipal's site looking for replacement props and stumbled upon a photo with a caption that said "10 inch propellers gives you long flight time. 8 inch propellers increase stability but decrease flight time."

It makes sense to me that the larger props would provide longer flight times, but can someone explain how the shorter props will provide more stable flights? Below is the ad on Helipal.

*Note: I am aware that the 10" props will not fit on the Phantom. I'm more concerned about the statement that the shorter props will offer more stable flights compared to the longer props.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 11.26.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 11.26.57 PM.png
    386.4 KB · Views: 440
Smaller props gives higher loading (weight divided by area). Higher loading means the rotors have to move faster to achieve the same lift, but the lower area means less effects from turbulent air (more stable).

A feather will fly further and at lower speeds than a rock, but the rock will give you a smoother ride (but will be harder to land). ;)

gbshovel said:
I don't think your going to get a 10 inch on the phantom :shock:

LOL. You are correct. My question was really toward the idea of the shorter prop offering more stable flights compared to a longer prop.

dkatz42 said:
Smaller props gives higher loading (weight divided by area). Higher loading means the rotors have to move faster to achieve the same lift, but the lower area means less effects from turbulent air (more stable).

A feather will fly further and at lower speeds than a rock, but the rock will give you a smoother ride (but will be harder to land). ;)

Thanks for the explanation.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if I were to shim 2 of the motors higher such that 2 of the props would rotate higher than the other 2, thus overlapping 1/2" +/-? I imagine a 10"' prop would need to have a 3-5 pitch, but I wonder what the run times would be?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers