Propeller paintjob!

Reaction score
Hello erryboddy!! :D

Last week, saturday, I finally received my mail-package which contained my FC40 Phantom!! :D
3-4 flights per day and I am TOTALLY ADDICTED!!!!!!

Anyhow, as the name of this topic suggests, I am already modding my Phantom. First I shall start with painting the propellers.
After a phonecall to my local hardware-store, I found some permanent weatherproof-paint. Neon-orange spray-paint! "regular" paint was out of the question, as I think it would disperse too unevenly and mess up the weight and balance of the blades, but spray-paint should work just fine :)
The paint I purchased is not only neon-orange, but also FLUORESCENT, so it should glow real nicely during those early-evening flights ;)

So tonight I'm taking the wife to see Need for Speed, but after that, once we get home, I'm going to paint the propeller-blades, and I will of course post a picture here!!

-Antti

I thought about this, but after realizing that virtually no one does this on any type of quad or other flying machine, decided against it.

That and the amount of time and effort accomplished to balance my 8 props. None were really balanced and it was such a small amount of sanding I took off I question what the paint will throw off in terms of balance.

ericdes said:
I thought about this, but after realizing that virtually no one does this on any type of quad or other flying machine, decided against it.

I did it to my Ar Drone. Makes the blades more visible. (just painted stripes on the tips) And painting does require you to balance props afterwards.

;)

Ok, thanks everybody for the advice on balance and whatnot :)
went and painted the blades anyway, tomorrow evening will see if it flies and HOW it flies.. If they dont work then I still got the spares that came with the package.

Looking like this right now, still drying:

3z1i.jpg

I just use a black (or whatever color) felt tip marker and make a stripe about 1" from each end of the prop top and bottom and another one about 1.5" inward from that one top and bottom. Pretty cool look and the weight added is imperceptible.

Reactions: Ti22
I painted mine but not the propellers and It turned well. Now it's black and red and it's easier to see it at night. If you want tips on how to do it, here are some videos with the instructions.

DJI Phantom Paintjob Part 1 - Disassemble --> http://youtu.be/6Fyo2GAeU2w
DJI Phantom Paintjob Part 2 - Paint ----------> http://youtu.be/2thBdN6kmgI
DJI Phantom Paintjob Part 3 - Reassemble --> http://youtu.be/5hnerDEXIUk

Here is my attempt at a painted propeller and the F-16 that gave me the inspiration. Can't say I actually painted the whole propeller, just the tips, so I may be out of line on this thread. Sorry

Attachments

• ACE 2.jpg
    ACE 2.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 1,204
  • ACE 6.jpg
    ACE 6.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 927
  • ACE 4.jpg
    ACE 4.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,305
  • ACE 5.jpg
    ACE 5.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 1,281
I guess you just have to be real careful that you don't throw the balance off. It really does just take a little bit of extra weight to get you in trouble.

But all the same, really really nice paintjob on your bird! And great inspiration!

bpatty said:
Here is my attempt at a painted propeller and the F-16 that gave me the inspiration. Can't say I actually painted the whole propeller, just the tips, so I may be out of line on this thread. Sorry

Will you stop posting your "attempt", because it's pissing me off!

Your "attempt" is amazing looking and it bums me out that I'm no where that creative :p

Dye them . Looks good and don't add no weight and has never affected the balance on mine .
Just saying :)

Reactions: Ti22 and LuvMyTJ
Dye them . Looks good and don't add no weight and has never affected the balance on mine .
Just saying :)
Thats what I did. I used common clothing dye you can pick up all over, even wally world will have it. Search here as there are many threads on it.

Reactions: Ti22 and dirkclod
silver is difficult to dye...

I have read threads on how to do it, watched videos and looked into color selection.

finding anyone who actually painted some and then flew is not easy. thought I would ask this guy...

old thread however...

I don't have near enough patience to do something like this -- but it is really cool.

I don't have near enough patience to do something like this -- but it is really cool.
Scot it's not as bad as ya think but I use Sharpie pens for the tips and scotch tape to make my lines clean . I do both sides prop tips.jpg
And really the dyeing the props is the only way to go .This is a old picture from this year when we had a snow and I didn't have my RPG yet but it really stands out ! snow fly.jpg Use the search engine in my signature and put in dyeing props and you will see many threads on doing them.
I would defiantly read them before trying if ya never had done this to learn from all our mistakes .I would post a link but there's so many there.
I just do my tips now and it does add a little bling to your bird ;)
Mine looks like this now .
Mia.jpg Dyed props and ...just the tips Mia2.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers