Propeller Mounting Plate becoming loose

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Has anyone had any issues regarding the Propeller Mounting Plate becoming loose. Specially the black doted ones. I called DJI and they stated they would take a look at it since it's still under warranty. I don't want to take the chance of flying it if it will leave the propellers unbalanced and cause them to vibrate. Thanks
1c084e9d3383fc44cd9cc90ff34fc0b2.jpg

Are the screws tight?

Invest in a 1.5 mm Allen head driver and check your screws every few flights. Don't send it to DJI . You'll never see that drone again! My "replacement " drone was shipped to me without any mounting springs so I had to scrounge for them to get flying so I can't say for sure but the screws may have Loctite on them from the factory. They might be your problem.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

I'm sure the screws are a tad loose since I can move the mounting slightly. So you think it's better if I tighten them myself rather than send it back. Thanks for the advice.

Hi everyone. Has anyone had any issues regarding the Propeller Mounting Plate becoming loose. Specially the black doted ones. I called DJI and they stated they would take a look at it since it's still under warranty. I don't want to take the chance of flying it if it will leave the propellers unbalanced and cause them to vibrate. Thanks

By all means check them with an allen wrench, but the screws are called collar screws. They will not allow you to over tighten them keeping you from cracking the propeller mounting plate. Mine have a slight movement back and forth, but there is no vertical movement that I can tell.

Mines back and forth too. Oddly only the black dotted plates are loose.

Mines back and forth too. Oddly only the black dotted plates are loose.

Since the black are the inverse of the silver they are made on a separate assembly line with one having a slightly thinner set of manufacturing parameters causing them to be slightly looser.

As long as the collar screws are tight you should not have any problems in flight.

I just had my first hub fail after 1 year and about 140 miles of flight. The edges that make contact with the inside of the prop wore down. The whole assembly started to slip on motor start. Made a braaaappp sound and the prop wouldn't turn for a split second... $9 for a replacement Prop Install Kit and I'm back in business. Prop is nice and tight now..

Reactions: omid B
I just had my first hub fail after 1 year and about 140 miles of flight. The edges that make contact with the inside of the prop wore down. The whole assembly started to slip on motor start. Made a braaaappp sound and the prop wouldn't turn for a split second... $9 for a replacement Prop Install Kit and I'm back in business. Prop is nice and tight now..
Yeah I just picked up 1.5 mm Allen key and tightened all of them. Will be doing that before each flight from now on.

Yeah I just picked up 1.5 mm Allen key and tightened all of them. Will be doing that before each flight from now on.

I'd hope that would not be necessary. Each screw should have had some loctite on the threaded tip. I'm looking to replace from the old to the new this week. I'd consider it a waste changing if the new needed tightened after each day of flying.

I went through this awhile back with my prop-hubs. I noticed that some were loose, but when I went to tighten the screws, they were already tight. So, I removed and re-seated the screws, and this tightened everything up for a flight or two, and then, the same hubs were loose once again. I could only conclude that the fastener holes on the plastic hubs 'wowed out' (or opened up a bit) around the three fasteners, and as such, I replaced all four of the hubs and assorted hardware with the original, stock versions that I ordered.

Then, enter DJI's new version of prop-hubs for the P4. They eliminate the metal plate with the three finger-springs that are so prone to being bent downward after use, and rather, there is a single coil-spring that slips over the motor shaft, and then, the plastic hub goes on over it. They are a much tighter and more secure fit for the props in my opinion. But, more than that, if you take one of your old-style prop-hubs and plates off with a 1.5 MM hex drive, you will see that there are holes in the top of the motor housing other than the three fastener holes. The newer style hubs have two tabs at their bases that plug into these holes, unlike the original style hubs. In theory then, with this new design, these new hubs should be more resistant to the fastener holes 'wowing out' around the screws because of the torque of the motors since they would be more resistant to slipping sideways under power, especially at startup or during braking.

The key is to tighten them until tight and then a tiny bit more. Any more could strip out the threads in the motor housing, and any less could allow for slipping which could shear off the tabs, and then, who knows.....

Last edited:
Reactions: jogforfitness
I don't see the spring in the pic you posted. Is it there? You should get a new hub and spring with every set of OEM blades. They are meant to be replaced with every set of blades or maybe every other set of blades. I guess it really just depends on how fast you tear up blades.

It is not acceptable having to tighten screws before every flight or so. I would completely remove concerned screws and check blue Loctite was included at factory. If missing or too little then completely clean each screw with acetone, wait 2 min., add tiny bit of fresh blue loctite and put the screws back just snug. Cross tighten them with same torque left-right-up-down. Don't overtighten them, Locticte will stabilize them.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic