Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Propeller longevity, Phantom 3 Standard.

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by twisted1504, Feb 22, 2016.

1. twisted1504

I did perform a search on the Phantom 3 boards before typing this and found quite a few articles about props flying off.

What I want to know is how to tell when the threads are dangerously weak?

Are there any signs to spot?

Are there any better propellers out there? With tougher threads maybe?

Sorry if this has already been answered guys.

2. buford

The only way I can tell is they go on hard, or they don't spin on without any effort. I've only replace a handful of props, and this was always the case. There wasn't anything you could see, but when they started going on like the threads were beginning to get worn, I replaced em. Some on here say props are cheap, so replace em. Some others say if you cant see anything wrong, don't waste a prop, use em. I go with the guys that say replace, mainly because I don't want it falling out of the air due to a prop coming off. There is school of thought that claims props can be spun off because of breaking, slowing down abruptly. The motors don't change direction when doing this breaking, so I believe this to be bs. Hard to screw on, or off, they probably need to be changed.

twisted1504 likes this.
  3. msinger

Approved Vendor

Before each flight, check your props (especially around the hub area) for hairline cracks, stripped hub threads, or any other sign of damaged plastic. If you see anything odd, play it safe and change the prop.

OEM DJI props are the best available.

twisted1504 likes this.
  4. twisted1504

Cheers guys, I really don't want to be in the "my Phantom fell out of the sky" club.

I always spin them on and then just give them 1/4 turn more to ensure they're on.