Propeller Guards

Reaction score
I read on the DJI website that the Phantom 4 prop guards come with a warning. Installing prop guards will disable the obstacle avoidance system. Is this true? Is this a fair trade-off? Has anyone had any experiences with this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I ended up buying prop guards when I first bought my P4 a few months back. It's true that they disable the front obstacle avoidance sensors. Now me personally, I don't like the idea of having any sensors disabled. But others may disagree. I ended up not even putting mine on.

I don't use guards for the simple reason that I don't see a need for them. I don't intentionally fly that close to things. If I ever lose total control and crash, I suspect that prop breakage will be the least of my worries. If/when I ever crash, I'm going to do it right: a spectacular explosion of tiny Phantom parts scattering like a supernova disintegration.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
I have read that if you sand off the black bars painted on the guards the front camera won't see them.(I have not tried this). OA on a P4 only works in forward anyway, I only use my guards if I am teaching someone how to fly, take off an landings are tippy for novices, I was glad I had them when my wife started flying because she tipped it a few times. I will use my guards if I am flying close to friends and family in my yard in order to video some type of event, other than that I don't use them. I rarely fly indoors but they would be a good idea. If you ever get close to a wall with your guards and make contact do not try to get away fast (go slow and gentle) as this may cause a crash. If you are on a wall and move the sticks the wrong way in a panic your craft may push up against the wall and flip it verticle all the way to the scene of the accident.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr