Prop tip - determine motor damage

Reaction score
Hi folks... I'm a noob, yet I have still read dozens and dozens of posts and not found the info I seek, nor has the search function helped.

I have landed my P2V+V3.0 many times problem free, yet have also landed it where uneven terrain has tipped the quad over. Even though I've powered down, the props hit and they stop. I try to land on grass when possible and don't land on pavement anymore if I can avoid it as that's really nasty to the prop tips!

I am concerned about what is happening to the motors on that side of the quad when the props stop by impacting the ground and the motor hasn't wound down to a full stop yet? Is there a disconnect of sorts or am I stopping the quad electric motor with external force and that motor still trying to spin? If the latter, is there a time frame before I damage the motor?

Not wanting to experience a free falling quad should a motor fail in flight, what do I need to look out for in day to day operations to help ensure motor reliability. Thanks so much for any guidance.

Flybill2

It should harm nothing as long as you cut the power to the motors as soon as the bird is on the ground
I have had a few tip overs and cutting power quickly helps prevent motor/esc damage

Unless there is something that really sticks out, it's highly unlikely you will catch something from happening ahead of time. If the props are still spinning there is power still going to them. The esc's can be damaged from top overs as well.

Thanks general01.

And flynfrank, I've seen lots of your posts. Thanks.

The esc is the power supply to the motor, yes, and it's this that appears to overheat on some quads?

Since this is motor damage related, I'm asking the question on this thread.

Thanks,

Flybill2

Best to very carefully practice hand-catching to avoid tip-overs. Bring it in to a stable hover about 10 feet in front of you and just above your standing height. Having that stable hover, walk over to it, grab the landing gear from underneath with one hand and with the other hand hold down the left stick for 3 seconds to shut down the motors. (It's important to keep the bird as still as possible while holding it or it won't shut down.) Never fly it right to where you are standing for a hand catch as a miscalculation may result in injury.

:D
Welcome to the forum!

Most places I fly have tall grass or no level place to land. I always take off from my case or backpack, and hand catch the bird to avoid tip overs. I think it's fun and keeps dirt out of the motors too!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35172

MHL

flybill2 said:
Thanks general01.

And flynfrank, I've seen lots of your posts. Thanks.

The esc is the power supply to the motor, yes, and it's this that appears to overheat on some quads?

Since this is motor damage related, I'm asking the question on this thread.

Thanks,

Flybill2

It's not that will over heat. There was a problem with motors and esc's not communicating with each other correctly due to the esc firmware version was wrong on most V3's.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl