Prop question?

Reaction score
Three of my props go on the 'normal' way , they spin on and then just need a little tightening at the end. However I've noticed that one of them doesn't go on like this, it spins on a little but then requires much more hand turning to tighten it.

I've also noticed a whining/whistling noise when flying, could this be related?

I assume I should replace the offending prop?

Yes, I would replace all of them. Props cost very little when compared to the damage they can cause in the event that one of them comes off in flight. Safety first, and protect your investment, don't take chances,

Yes, I would replace all of them. Props cost very little when compared to the damage they can cause in the event that one of them comes off in flight. Safety first, and protect your investment, don't take chances,
All? It is advisable to replace all instead of just the one? These were "new" with a refurbished P3S and still had the plastic on them.

I've also noticed a whining/whistling noise when flying, could this be related?

In general, if you suspect something is wrong in the motors/props department (noise, vibrations), the easiest thing to do is to put 4 new props on, and see if anything changes. If it doesn't, then you start digging.
If the noise you're talking about goes away with new props, then you have your answer right away. If it remains the same, then try to remember if it has always been like that, or if it got worse just recently. Any recent crashes? Any dirt that could be trapped inside the motors? Turn the AC upside-down and blow some compressed air into the motors, just in case. If everything looks normal, just keep an eye (ear) on it, and make sure it doesn't get progressively worse... a bit of whining is normal, but if they start screaming then it's not (likely a bad bearing, in some cases a drop of oil properly positioned is all that's needed).

Reactions: Proud_Hufflepuff
In general, if you suspect something is wrong in the motors/props department (noise, vibrations), the easiest thing to do is to put 4 new props on, and see if anything changes. If it doesn't, then you start digging.
If the noise you're talking about goes away with new props, then you have your answer right away. If it remains the same, then try to remember if it has always been like that, or if it got worse just recently. Any recent crashes? Any dirt that could be trapped inside the motors? Turn the AC upside-down and blow some compressed air into the motors, just in case. If everything looks normal, just keep an eye (ear) on it, and make sure it doesn't get progressively worse... a bit of whining is normal, but if they start screaming then it's not (likely a bad bearing, in some cases a drop of oil properly positioned is all that's needed).
Well I've only had it out three times since buying it and he noise has always been there.

It was a DJI refurb so I'm hoping that it is the prop and not a motor. There's been nothing I've done that would have caused any damage.

I've a new prop ordered so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Well, then just pay attention to the noise every once in a while, and if it becomes too loud, send the AC back to DJI under warranty (refurbished units are covered by the same 1-yr warranty than new units).
Be carful not to cross-thread the props when you install them, and hand-tighten them firmly but without going crazy, or using any tools.
I also suggest you always keep a full set of spare props available, for $13.98 ($6.99x2), there is no excuse for not having them ready when you need them. Besides, didn't your P3S come with 4 extra props? I think mine did, and it was refurbished too...

Well, then just pay attention to the noise every once in a while, and if it becomes too loud, send the AC back to DJI under warranty (refurbished units are covered by the same 1-yr warranty than new units).
Be carful not to cross-thread the props when you install them, and hand-tighten them firmly but without going crazy, or using any tools.
I also suggest you always keep a full set of spare props available, for $13.98 ($6.99x2), there is no excuse for not having them ready when you need them. Besides, didn't your P3S come with 4 extra props? I think mine did, and it was refurbished too...
No extra props with mine!

The only moving/wearing motor component is the bearings. Increased friction will generate heat. Check motor temps after each flight to see if all motors are similar. If so then you are likely fine.
No exotic tools required... fingers will work just fine as you are surveying for similarity not specifics.

Reactions: Proud_Hufflepuff

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20