Prop noise: Phantom vs aftermarket (non-Phantom) props

Reaction score
I have several quads but have been flying my Phantom's almost exclusively for a long while now...

The other day I cranked up my AD-1 "Spider" quad and was reminded of how much quieter larger slower spinning props are.... The Phantom's sound like an agitated bee hive.... my AD-1 with Tiger 11" carbon props are WAY quieter. The Tiger props are also very differently shaped which may also have some to do with reduced noise.

I wish DJI would design a new prop that was quieter.

One of the complaints about "drones" is the noise... and one of the reasons some state, local and national parks do not allow them is NOISE.

Another one on the wish list for DJI

I would like to get tri bladed props. Reduction of area for wind to affect flight.
The Typhoon swings 14's and is a bit more muffled.
Tried carbon reinforced and are more affected by wind and seemed noisier yesterday.

Prop noise is primarily a function of tip speed.
3 blade props are less efficient.
Nothing beats DJI props as they've part of a tuned system.

Prop noise is primarily a function of tip speed.
3 blade props are less efficient.

1 - you're right about tip speed and noise
2 - three bladed systems are not always less efficient (as in power to thrust/pitch speed). I have may fixed wing builds that have three bladed props, some counter spinning duals. When matched with the right kv motor and battery, they can be very efficient. The GWS HD three blades are the bomb. That being said, quads do not lend themselves to three blade props, lot more inertia, lot more torque/counter torque and more of a ***** to brake in the air (which you dont do with fixed wings).

More blades = always less efficient.

The most efficient is a single blade.

Haven't seen a single blade used on a plane since the Piper Cub. Blade plus counter weight.
Has some relation to power too. Try use all the power output on a F4U Corsair or P51 but they also have variable pitch.
I am trying to get a happy medium of less area to get a bit less wind buffeting.

Yeah, I totally get that.... which is why it would be nice if DJI could develop something.

I'll have to calculate my rpm's on my AD-1 swinging 11's or 12" props and see how the prop speed compares to the Phantom... not that DJI can do much about (increasing) the length of their props without redesigning the whole rig...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20