Prop Motor Replacement

Reaction score
I took a pretty good spill and tweaked one of the arms. The phantom hardly hovers on it's own. I completly gutted the thing and put it in a new shell, but that didn't seem to help. The gps compass seem good. One of the motors takes a tad bit more effort to move, but nothing really obvious. I'm kind of out of options so I'm considering replacing the motor, even though I don't really think it's a problem. I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseam, but I couldn't find any previous posts. I have a few questions before I take the plunge. I'm really not looking forward to soldering this **** thing.

1)Is there a deterministic way to determine if the motor is good? Something more than does it feel or look like different?

2)How important is it that you replace all 4 motors? Can I just replace the one?

3)To avoid resoldering the motors each time they are replaced should I put bullet connectors? If so where can I get them?

Thanks.

SlackerATX said:
I took a pretty good spill and tweaked one of the arms. The phantom hardly hovers on it's own. I completly gutted the thing and put it in a new shell, but that didn't seem to help. The gps compass seem good. One of the motors takes a tad bit more effort to move, but nothing really obvious. I'm kind of out of options so I'm considering replacing the motor, even though I don't really think it's a problem. I know this has probably been discussed ad nasum, but I couldn't find any previous posts. I have a few questions before I take the plunge. I'm really not looking forward to soldering this **** thing.

1)Is there a deterministic way to determine if the motor is good? Something more than does it feel or look like different?

2)How important is it that you replace all 4 motors? Can I just replace the one?

3)To avoid resoldering the motors each time they are replaced should I put bullet connectors? If so where can I get them?

Thanks.

You could try replacing the bearings, I went with Boca Bearings Orange seal. That said, I'd say there is less than 50% chance that it will resolve the problem.

1) Aside from special instruments, it's really about sound and feel. When power is on and motors are idle (just powered on, not take off power) do they sound the same. Then, with power OFF spin each motor between your fingers like a top, do they sound the same, is there a rough sound (like sand paper in one)? Then hold the top of the motor and wiggle it side to side, does it wiggle (should not).

2) Yes, you can just replace one (I have done two.) But if you replace less than all four, I'd stick with the stock motors.

3) I considered that, a lot of people go with bullet connectors (get them at frys), I decided to just solder back to the ESC's. If you go this route, one word of advice, when desoldering the old wires from the ESC's, do not pull hard as the pads have a tendency of pulling away from the board (not the end of the world, but is a bit more of a pain.)

BTW, on a different note, I assume you replaced all the props? Did you go with actual OEM DJI props or did you go with ebay / generic props to save a few bucks. I only bring it up in case you are not aware that the generic props, although the look very similar are in fact total crap and are vastly inferior to the DJI props. It really is amazing how much of an effect (bad) the generic props have on the flight characteristics of this quad.

themosttoys said:
BTW, on a different note, I assume you replaced all the props? Did you go with actual OEM DJI props or did you go with ebay / generic props to save a few bucks. I only bring it up in case you are not aware that the generic props, although the look very similar are in fact total crap and are vastly inferior to the DJI props. It really is amazing how much of an effect (bad) the generic props have on the flight characteristics of this quad.

Thanks for all the info. I have seen the threads that all the generic props suck, but I do have OEM obtainted from a local dealer in official packaging. I only have two fresh and 2 slightly used. I'm going to wait until 2 more arrive until I do anything else.

In a silent room spinning the motors right next to my ear. :? One seems slightly more difficult to spin, but sounds good. One different spins good, but a slight grumble/rattle. The one with a slight grumble/rattle has just a hint of movement. This is the replacement candidate.

SlackerATX said:
In a silent room spinning the motors right next to my ear. :? One seems slightly more difficult to spin, but sounds good. One different spins good, but a slight grumble/rattle. The one with a slight grumble/rattle has just a hint of movement. This is the replacement candidate.

Sounds like a good possibility. Was that the motor in the arm that took the most damage?

SlackerATX said:
Looks like these are the bearings you used. Comes with 8.

http://www.amazon.com/PHANTOM-QUADCOPTE ... G16D1AVAKQ

I also found a cheap set of bearings, but it does comes with washers and clips.

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Rebuild-U ... G16D1AVAKQ

Maybe I'll try that before, replacing. If nothing else just to know. Would you recomend going with the bearings you used despite the cost?

These are the bearings I've used (in this case as well as others): http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv ... r-electric
Given the cost, it would be more cost effective to just go with a new motor.

I can't comment on the other bearings linked as I've not used them. I have given thought to replacing the washers, but I stick with the stock brass.

BTW, I'm in Austin and have spare stock bearings. If we meet up somewhere (I'm in the NW, near Lake Travis) I'd be happy to give you a few for the questionable motor.

themosttoys said:
SlackerATX said:

Sounds like a good possibility. Was that the motor in the arm that took the most damage?

I'm not sure. I believe it was. I've of the old shell at the house I'll be able to confirm.

I'm actually at Horseshoe Bay this weekend and live and and work SW. I appreciate the offer for the spare bearings. If I plan on being NW soon I'll send you a PM.

After all that I took it out, calibrated the compass and it's flying wonderfully. Hovering great and staying put when I yaw. Only change I made was switching out some props for ones slightly less abused. Now I can finally move on to getting my gimbal installed.

I'm in SW Austin too. Please PM me when you have your next flying opportunity. I'd like to join in.

I'm going out later today for some golden hour time before sunset.

Which gimbal are you getting?

Seahorse said:
New motors are £12 (about $16) why mess around with bearings at all... :ugeek:

I'm good for now, but I did get some replacement motors in case. I wonder if the upgraded bearing improve battery life and effiency.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic