Prop Guards

I don't see how the prop guards could contribute to VRS other than the fact that they add weight.
They add about 90 grams to the total weight and VRS becomes more likely the more loaded you are.

DJI lists the P2V+ normal flying weight at 1284g, I measure mine at 1260g
They also list the takeoff weight at <=1300g
With the Prop Guards, I measure it at 1350g which slightly exceeds the rated takeoff weight

I have them on for my first few flights and the big problem I have with them is they add so much to the size.
It's so much bigger which makes it more difficult to transport. Won't fit in the case, etc.
They also seem to add to wind resistance which may make it drift around more in windy conditions

cahutch said:
DJI lists the P2V+ normal flying weight at 1284g, I measure mine at 1260g
They also list the takeoff weight at <=1300g
With the Prop Guards, I measure it at 1350g which slightly exceeds the rated takeoff weight

I don't think the 1300 was the maximum takeoff weight. Rather the current, out of the box takeoff weight. I do not think they publish a maximum. Given how fast the thing can climb, I am sure the maximum takeoff weight is much higher.

Werz said:
I agree with your first and third points. But what if you want to be able to operate near trees and buildings ... and people?

Then you should fly slowly & carefully, paying very close attention to the aircraft's proximity to those obstacles, either directly or by closely observing your FPV screen. Having the prop guards on does NOT guarantee or completely protect you from a prop strike. They are thin plastic and fragile, and break easily in an impact. They can be deflected into the props, causing the props to strike the prop guards. Tree branches can protrude through them allowing a prop to break even with the prop guards installed. They can become snared in a branch leaving your Phantom dangling high above the ground.

cahutch said:
I don't see how the prop guards could contribute to VRS other than the fact that they add weight.
They add about 90 grams to the total weight and VRS becomes more likely the more loaded you are.

My personal belief is the prop guards subtly deflect the airflow as it passes through the props, making the aircraft more susceptible to VRS. Windtunnel testing would be required to determine if this is indeed true. I can only say that the vast majority of VRS incidents reported here appear to involve birds with prop guards installed.

Well, I just got my P2V+ today, and got the DJI prop guards from them as well. Where I am it's heavily wooded and it seemed like a good idea. I figure I will remove them once I'm more comfortable with it...but so far I've had it up to 400 feet. No VRS, but I've very gentle when descending straight down....at least for now, anyway! I've only turned a few leaves into pulp so far.

Dirty Bird said:
Werz said:
I agree with your first and third points. But what if you want to be able to operate near trees and buildings ... and people?
Then you should fly slowly & carefully, paying very close attention to the aircraft's proximity to those obstacles, either directly or by closely observing your FPV screen. Having the prop guards on does NOT guarantee or completely protect you from a prop strike. They are thin plastic and fragile, and break easily in an impact. They can be deflected into the props, causing the props to strike the prop guards. Tree branches can protrude through them allowing a prop to break even with the prop guards installed. They can become snared in a branch leaving your Phantom dangling high above the ground.
I've considered all those scenarios - particularly with regard to trees - and have grown comfortable flying and maneuvering without prop guards. Nevertheless, I will still use them for low altitude flying around people.

As to VRS, I strictly avoid direct vertical descents, prop guards or not.

Today was my 1st day out with PV+ and the guards might saved my PV+.
I'll post the video later since it's still processing on YouTube.
I was flying side ways when momentum & wind changed the direction I was thinking it'll go. I hit the post, bounces off, rolled about 4 feet on the guard. On thing happened was one of the prop broke.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406091802.878299.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406091802.878299.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 368
Onezerosix141 said:
Today was my 1st day out with PV+ and the guards might saved my PV+.
I'll post the video later since it's still processing on YouTube.
I was flying side ways when momentum & wind changed the direction I was thinking it'll go. I hit the post, bounces off, rolled about 4 feet on the guard. On thing happened was one of the prop broke.

Yes. Rather lucky. I may have to get some guards :)

I guess I am a different sort of pilot when it comes to the Phantom. I like to fly her smoothly, with precision. When I want to do some radical stuff, I head out with one of these:

IMAG1976.jpg

Stinger+1.jpg

IMAG2030.jpg

IMAG1751.jpg

IMAG1620.jpg

IMAG1640.jpg

Dirty Bird said:
I guess I am a different sort of pilot when it comes to the Phantom. I like to fly her smoothly, with precision. When I want to do some radical stuff, I head out with one of these:

IMAG1976.jpg

Stinger+1.jpg

IMAG2030.jpg

IMAG1751.jpg

IMAG1620.jpg

IMAG1640.jpg

Now, that's cool ^_^
I need to learn how to fly fixed wings!

Dirty Bird said:

IMAG1976.jpg

Stinger+1.jpg

IMAG2030.jpg

IMAG1751.jpg

IMAG1620.jpg

IMAG1640.jpg

My father is now your biggest fan.

EMCSQUAR said:
Dirty Bird said:
Personally, I'd recommend you forgo the prop guards and spare yourself a potential VRS crash.

+1 or the "screw into motor" problem so many folks have/had when removing prop guards and using the longer screws. It's a fast way to learn how to replace motor(s)

If your looking for a quick way to connect and disconnect the prop guards where you don't have to screw into the Phantom check out these 'Click-ON' prop guard. http://www.fusionimaging.com.au

Onezerosix141 said:
Now, that's cool ^_^
I need to learn how to fly fixed wings!

They are a blast. Half the fun is building them and setting things up. So much easier than the old days too! They are not forgiving though, as is the Phantom. One wrong decision, a momentary loss of concentration or orientation, can spell disaster! :shock:

Double-D said:
Nice squad you have there DB. Very impressive.

Thanks Double-D. The scary thing is...that's only an airwing...I have close to 40 of them. I can't even build all the aircraft I have because my house isn't big enough to store them all assembled! I have one bedroom that is stacked floor-to-ceiling on two walls with unassembled models still in the boxes. Here are some others (the unassembled ones have logos on the images):

IMAG1876.jpg

IMAG1835.jpg

IMAG1810.jpg

IMAG1803.jpg

IMAG1702.jpg

IMAG1657.jpg

This thing is sweet!
BlitzRCWorks+1600mm+F4U+Corsair+1.jpg

BlitzRCWorks+1600mm+F4U+Corsair+5.jpg

The wing fold/unfold mechanism is motorized and controlled via the remote:
BlitzRCWorks+1600mm+F4U+Corsair+4.jpg

This is a 2000mm (79") wingspan B-25 Mitchell...awesome detail!
BlitzRCWorks+2000mm+B-25+Mitchell.jpg

Dezb-x1bs8O1aklWBTceJXDqkk96r3QfFBzks1BWyMgD=w700-h420-no

1600mm "Old FuddyDuddy" B-17 Bomber
FreeWing+1600mm+%2527Fuddy+Duddy%2527+B-17+Bomber.jpg

SU-35 dual-EDF with thrust vectoring
FreeWing+1080mm+SU-35+EDF+Jet.jpg

DeHavilland DHC-2 "Beaver" (has floats and wheels)
FlyZone+DHC-2+%2527Beaver%2527.jpg

2000mm P-40 Warhawk. This thing is HUGE...tires are over 4" in diameter!
P-40+Warhawk+3.jpg

1700mm (67") P-51D Mustang "Red Tail"
NNLaQkjV6BYWBD7EsgNW6BuJ4IkaqwTOr4eUWdcVeNfB=w700-h420-no

1700mm F4U Corsair "Olathe"
FMS+1700mm+F4U+Corsair.jpg

1700mm P-51D Mustang "Ferocious Frankie"
P-51+Frankie+1.jpg

Dynam+1280mm+Cessna+%2527Grand+Cruiser%2527.jpg

1400mm F6F "Hellcat"
FMS+1400mm+F6F+Hellcat.jpg

FMS+1450mm+P-38+Lightning.jpg

1450mm v8 P-51D Mustang "Big Beautiful Doll"