Prop Guards

Reaction score
Hi all,

I should be getting a Phantom 2 Vision+ in the next couple of weeks, and I'm looking to get some prop guards for it. I was wondering if prop guards for the other phantom 2 models will fit the vision plus? I've actually heard conflicting things regarding this - I originally thought they would be the same.

Thanks for any help

Brammo said:
I should be getting a Phantom 2 Vision+ in the next couple of weeks, and I'm looking to get some prop guards for it. I was wondering if prop guards for the other phantom 2 models will fit the vision plus? I've actually heard conflicting things regarding this - I originally thought they would be the same.

Phantom 1 prop guards are smaller than those designed for the Phantom 2. Personally, I'd recommend you forgo the prop guards and spare yourself a potential VRS crash.

Learn to fly without them, stay away from trees and other objects and learn how to get comfortable with hand catching. Get some extra props, you'll go through a set or 2. When taking off give full throttle so it doesnt tip ove and crack a few props.

...and stick to DJI props when you buy them. Oh and don't even think about carbon fiber.

Dirty Bird said:
Personally, I'd recommend you forgo the prop guards and spare yourself a potential VRS crash.

+1 or the "screw into motor" problem so many folks have/had when removing prop guards and using the longer screws. It's a fast way to learn how to replace motor(s)

+1 or the "screw into motor" problem so many folks have/had when removing prop guards and using the longer screws. It's a fast way to learn how to replace motor(s)

This. Just learned how to do it, good learning experience.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Learn to fly without them, stay away from trees and other objects and learn how to get comfortable with hand catching.
I agree with your first and third points. But what if you want to be able to operate near trees and buildings ... and people?

I use prop guards as a safety feature all the time, nothing wrong with using them.

Werz said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Learn to fly without them, stay away from trees and other objects and learn how to get comfortable with hand catching.
I agree with your first and third points. But what if you want to be able to operate near trees and buildings ... and people?

Exactly why I added them on my P2V. They do affect the performance of the aircraft, especially in windy conditions. But as long as you know this going in, I would strongly suggest them especially for a new flyer or anyone flying in tight spaces. The P2V+ gimbal/camera isn't nearly as robust as the original Vision camera. I've had VRS both with and without the guards and was lucky enough to fly myself out of it. Learn how to do that whether you use guards or not. Good luck.

Some lazy member we have here, omg this guy was really lazy, said that he used RTH to descend from high altitude. I tried it, works like a charm and no VRS.

Hey guys i keep reading about VRS....how exactly do i get out of it ?? I took off my prop guards because after flying with them for the first time my bird did not seem stable. I think prop guards in a windy situation is bad news.

Another question.....lets say im at 400m altitude.....whats the best way to get down....or best method to get down. i usally descend slowly downwards.....i think im doing it too slow though because of my fear of VRS

I recommend getting the prop guards and using them as you learn. Eventually you'll only use them when flying around other people or solid objects.

Get a better tool for installing and removing.

I generally fly without them, but kept my set for when they're appropriate. I have extra props, but I'm still using the first set I installed.

I think your biggest exposure is takeoff and landing. Takeoff STRONG TO 15ft and.....Hand catch to avoid landing.

himo said:
Another question.....lets say im at 400m altitude.....whats the best way to get down....or best method to get down. i usally descend slowly downwards.....i think im doing it too slow though because of my fear of VRS

You can do a quick descending by shutdown the motors midair and watch it drop to about 100 meters in height and then restart motors, the Phantom 2 will automatically keep upright and level before it reach ground level. That's the quickest way to bring it down from 400 meters if you can't bring it down slowly in such situations like low battery, you have to leave in one minute etc.

yali said:
himo said:

You can do a quick descending by shutdown the motors midair and watch it drop to about 100 meters in height and then restart motors, the Phantom 2 will automatically keep upright and level before it reach ground level. That's the quickest way to bring it down from 400 meters if you can't bring it down slowly in such situations like low battery, you have to leave in one minute etc.

Don't do this!

himo said:
Descend with forward or lateral movement.
Fly in a circle as you descend and spiral down
or fly forward and backward and zig-zag down
Just don't drop straight down, unless there's some wind

cahutch said:
himo said:
Descend with forward or lateral movement.
Fly in a circle as you descend and spiral down
or fly forward and backward and zig-zag down
Just don't drop straight down, unless there's some wind

+1.....but not sure about the wind.....hard to know what the wind is like at the altitude your Phantom is at. I wouldn't count on it.

Also, as for shutting down and let it drop......don't get yourself in that position. Don't fly at high altitudes with low reserve battery. Just buy another battery and return for a new one before you need a new one. There are no awards given for flying high when you have a low flight battery! Just don't go there!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4