Prop guards

Reaction score
What's your thoughts on prop guards? Do you find the quad is less stable in wind when using the guards or is it my imagination?

What's your thoughts on prop guards? Do you find the quad is less stable in wind when using the guards or is it my imagination?
Propguards catch the wind like sails.
They will reduce your Phantom's speed and ability to make headway against a headwind.
They will eat your battery life and give you a false sense of security.
Apart from that they are OK.
Generally, if you think you need prop guards, what you really need is to fly somewhere else.

Only reason I put them on was due to the potential of bird strikes as most of my flying is from my house on the shore of Lake Erie. Since I've put them on I haven't been please with my P3P performance. I think it's time to take em off.

Reactions: Numone and BigAl07
And be especially careful when you remove the propguards : not to put back the screws that are delivered with, think to completely remove these screws then to replace them with the screws provided basic with the Phantom.
In case of forgetting it costs very expensive : the 4 engines are grilled!

Reactions: Jim abbatoy
Used them when l was practicing indoors and just the once when I was brave enough to fly outside for the first time. They came off the same day. Utter waste of time and money.

Already took them off. Haha. I just wanted a second opinion. Unfortunately it's too windy to try it out and see if my old phantom is back to normal.

Propguards catch the wind like sails.
They will reduce your Phantom's speed and ability to make headway against a headwind.
They will eat your battery life and give you a false sense of security.
Apart from that they are OK.
Generally, if you think you need prop guards, what you really need is to fly somewhere else.

Good points - all. Especially the last one about needing to fly somewhere else if you think you need them.
I've been flying my P3 for 2 years and recently decided to buy some quick release guards for safety, visibility and liability reasons. (ie: a failure that might result in slicing someone up) I'm not disappointed with the performance, but without pitching the camera down, they are always getting in the picture. Mine are orange and black and do make it very easy to judge the drone's direction from quite a distance however.
Bottom line is I probably will not be using them, but the quick disconnect mounts do make great reinforcement plates for under the motors. That's a plus, while still not as good as the dedicated reinforcements that are available.
Your last sentence really does make a good point. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20