Prop guards ...Yes or No

I could walk on water when I was younger. Now I have to wait till it's frozen... :(

Sorry azisbest, seemed like a good idea at the time. No offence intended. :)
Perhaps if you would tell me what an "offence" was I might be able to respond with a modicum of logic or reason.

Some people learn the different flight characteristics that prop guards cause and can fly fine. Some people don't realize the differences and hate them.
Some learn how to properly land their Phantoms, others are content to hand catch.

I say to each their own.

Reactions: dirkclod
Perhaps if you would tell me what an "offence" was I might be able to respond with a modicum of logic or reason.
Well if you're able to
respond with a modicum of logic or reason
you know what he meant o_O :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Some learn how to properly land their Phantoms, others are content to hand catch.
I dont agree that all hand catchers have not learned to land properly. There are some who fly from terrains which are completely unsuitable for landing on (ploughed fields, marshland, long grass etc), and there are some who fly with vTX antenna dangling below the undercarriage to optimise FPV signal. These people will usually hand catch and one can not make any assumptions about how capable their landing skills are. Just saying :)

I dont agree that all hand catchers have not learned to land properly. There are some who fly from terrains which are completely unsuitable for landing on (ploughed fields, marshland, long grass etc), and there are some who fly with vTX antenna dangling below the undercarriage to optimise FPV signal. These people will usually hand catch and one can not make any assumptions about how capable their landing skills are. Just saying :)
I can do both but prefer to hand catch so I don't have to hold my breath bending over to pick it up !! :eek:

Offence is a word which will allow you to run with a medium amount of intelligence as this thread continues. :p I guess you could say it's bait for a boob.

Bwahaha! I knew my post would start a new debate! If people aren't having a pissing contest over prop guards or hand catch vs landing in some thread on this forum, the world just ain't right.

Now back to mending ffences...
Armchair lawyers and armchair grammarists...just enough knowledge to make themselves look silly:

http://grammarist.com/spelling/offence-offense/

Bwahaha! I knew my post would start a new debate! If people aren't having a pissing contest over prop guards or hand catch vs landing in some thread on this forum, the world just ain't right.

Armchair lawyers and armchair grammarists...just enough knowledge to make themselves look silly:

facepalm.jpg
Yep..but so is this tread :)
Again ;)

clapping.gif

I can do both but prefer to hand catch so I don't have to hold my breath bending over to pick it up !! :eek:
Ha! I know what you mean. I have an acrylic landing pad (and no, I do not have the skill to land on it!) that I can attach to my tripod. That way I can prep and launch from counter height. Still have to bend over to pick it up after landing though if I don't hand catch.

I actually did land a few times on the tripod, but my last attempt ended in broken props and a bent arm. I realized I had confused dumb luck with skill on my successful landings.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Landing on the ground with these birds is a piece of cake, but I hand catch because it is more fun and has the added benefit of keeping the dust off of my camera when landing in dirt.

I asked myself this same question. Should I or shouldn't I? And these are the pros and cons I could come up with...

CON
- adds more weight = shorter flight times
- added costs
- just another thing to break/replace
- gets in the frame during harder maneuvers

PRO
- huge safety bonus!
- looks pretty cool if you ask me
- saves costs (less dinged props)
- did I mention the safety? :)

So while you could have as many different answers as there are users on this forum, just ask yourself what is and isn't important to you and go from there :)

Happy Flying!

p.s. by the way - I chose to buy them for my P3Pro (ill just thread a nut onto the long bolts and hack-saw them shorter to make similar depth as original screws)

I can hand catch, and also land skilfully enough to land on the GoProfessional case the bird comes in. I generally choose to hand catch because the chicks think I'm cool when I do it. Well, they do in my mind. The fact that there are never any chicks watching me is irrelevant to anything that goes on in my mind.

Since this thread started I thought about it and realized I hadn't used my guards in awhile . I had painted them just to show my colors but really just never use them any more . I have the clip on so I just took it out and took a picture of it .
RWB (640x514).jpg

Well I flew it around the field a little and when I looked at the video I saw where with the camera up I could really see them and just how well my gimbal was working comparing the movement of them to the video .
Had never thought of checking it that way .
Duuhhh

Reactions: GoodnNuff and snerd
I got a set in the kit I bought. I did not put them on before my first flight the other day. They are not the snap-on type, so I didn't want to mess with the hassle of taking them off again. Plus, there were no obstacles in the open field I flew in. I think they look kind of cool, really. I may get a set of quick-release guards later on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic