Prop guards ...Yes or No

Sorry, the risk/reward math doesn't add up for me...

- Spending $30 on prop guards to protect a $7.50 prop ...
that decreases agility, flight time and could actually increase the risk of a crash (due to wind 'sail' effect) costing you ~$1000+ !
???
I'll just pay the $7.50 a pop replacement cost if it happens.

But to be fair... I suppose it could make sense under certain circumstances (i.e. indoors or safety where people are in the vicinity for some uncontrollable reason)

Reactions: Meta4

that decreases agility, flight time and could actually increase the risk of a crash (due to wind 'sail' effect) costing you ~$1000+ !
???
I'll just pay the $7.50 a pop replacement cost if it happens.

But to be fair... I suppose it could make sense under certain circumstances (i.e. indoors or safety where people are in the vicinity for some uncontrollable reason)

Well, you should watch some of my videos from last year... :rolleyes: Guess what... I do pretty good now. I saved hundreds of dollars on props. Slow learner, but once I get it, it's got. ;)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I have only had mine a few months but I have zero interest in putting prop guards on it.

I could walk on water when I was younger. Now I have to wait till it's frozen... :(

Sorry azisbest, seemed like a good idea at the time. No offence intended. :)

Not sure which aircraft you have, but on the P2 at least this has nothing to do with prop damage. If you stall a P2 motor you blow the ESC.

It's not even so much the props being broken, it's preventing damaging to the motors and the arms themselves if you really wack something.

But hey, if your ego and cool factor demands that you fly without guards, it sure as hell ain't my repair bill
It's not about cool factor or machismo.
It's about not having a false sense of security because you attach guards.
They might work in a gentle bump but don't expect the result to be happy "if you really wack something"
Prop guards do not confer invincibility.
Your most effective protection is to be aware of the serious risk when flying close to obstacles and avoid them.

Reactions: Ti22
Last edited:
Reactions: Hughie
Reactions: IflyinWY
the ESCs in the P3 are much more heavy duty and lower current than the P2 series and should be quite durable...

Pity the rest of it isn't as durable. The number on here with bent arms from relatively small hits is getting scary. I've had some whacks on my P2 and not had it batt an eyelid at it, it sure hasn't bent like the arms on the P3's have.
I hope it's not proving to be an iPhone 6 all over again, where they'd bend in your pocket.

Pity the rest of it isn't as durable. The number on here with bent arms from relatively small hits is getting scary. I've had some whacks on my P2 and not had it batt an eyelid at it, it sure hasn't bent like the arms on the P3's have.
I hope it's not proving to be an iPhone 6 all over again, where they'd bend in your pocket.

You either gotta give up weight or durability. You can't have both.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Can't make a phantom out of foam or titanium. The shell is basically the same as the p2, it's just with the amount of new flyers that the p3 brings you will see an increase in damages and accidents being reported, it was the exact same when the p2v came out and when the p2v+ came out. It's generally not the phantom but much more likely new pilot error.

Reactions: dirkclod
True, and also noted. I just wonder if they had to put the P3 onto a diet to fit the Lightbridge etc onto it, and might have reduced the toughness. One arm I saw here just recently from a fall that's only twice the height of an average person, and onto grass, was so bent it was scary.

True, and also noted. I just wonder if they had to put the P3 onto a diet to fit the Lightbridge etc onto it, and might have reduced the toughness. One arm I saw here just recently from a fall that's only twice the height of an average person, and onto grass, was so bent it was scary.

Physics don't care, they just destroy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl