Prop guards - worth having?

Reaction score
I'm expecting delivery of my new P4 soon and was wondering about installing prop guards. My limited experience with earlier models has seen quite spectacular roll overs on landings (one of which totalled a gimbal), all of which seem to be initiated by ground prop strike. Also I will often be flying close to trees and bushes and was thinking that prop guards could help with interference in these situations.
I'd like to hear if anyone has had success or otherwise with prop guards, whether they adversly affect performance and recommended brands?

Thanks Guys/Gals

I initially considered prop guards being a new flyer myself. However, i came across a video that showed you have to turn off the front visual positional system to uses the prop guards IMHO, if your flying that close to trees and bushes, master how to handle the device than rely on guards to keep you protected. Even with prop guards, your gong to end up rubbing up against the trees and stuff. Personally, i fly with the radar and use that as my best guide and within eyesight. And/or have a spotter with you, which is what i do. But to each their own.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
If you have never flown quad, you may play safe by going for prop guards for first few flights. Or in other words, if you fly once without prop guards, you will not like to use them ever.

If you are flying in restricted space like in a hall, you might need them but Phantom should be flown in open space as it can fly to miles away.

Reactions: Cassiel
I got a set and only used them when teaching someone to take off and land. The first time my wife landed she tilted over as she shut down the motors, I was glad I had put them on. I may use them in the future if I fly close to a canyon wall or in a hall like alokbhargava said.

Reactions: Cassiel
They are good training wheels. Just make sure you use official ones that are designed not to flex into the props when descending. Make sure you keep the original screws as incorrect length screws may damage your motors or cause early failures.

Use them on practice flights - take off and landing.
Use them to practice hand catching.
Use them for indoors, narrow areas, near people/animals that permit you to fly near them :)

When you feel competent and have an understanding of the Phantom, you can remove the prop guards.

Just remember, the prop guards can have negative affects on the phantom. More weight, poor centre of gravity, chance of prop wash, instability in the air, more prone to be stuck in trees etc.
Oh.. and don't use the string. I've seen many users crash from the string getting caught in the motors.

The only benefit I had with them was the ease of carrying the phantom around. They make excellent handles :)

Thank you all. Some definite pearls of wisdom there ;-) After reading all your comments, I think I'll invest more time in practice rather than more money in plastic!
Thanks again for all of your responses.

I had them on my cheap £100 trainer drone and broke them straight away. Not bothered with my p4.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20