Prop guards for DJI Phantom

Reaction score
I just bought the original. It came with prop guards. Any thoughts on whether to use them or not. I am new at this.

I would use them, if you are a new pilot,
Just don't do any HIGH speed descents!
( these can partially, cause VRS ( Vortex Ring State )
Where your phantom will rock side-side, ultimately crashing!
As it passes through its own prop wash !
Happens when you descend straight down too fast )
WHEN DESCENDING, always give some ( forward-backward, side-side )
Motion when descending, to keep it from happening )
Ie: little forward while descending )
They can save your blades, if you ever top over
Or brush against something ( tree ).

( wated to add, VRS, can happen without prop guards !
Not trying to scare you, only make you aware, sorry!

I use them,and I'm a decent pilot, but later if you are
Serious about videography, you might want to remove them
So they will not be present in the video you are trying to
Shoot!

Goes by preference really, but a good idea, if you are a new
Pilot!

Take care, Fly safe!

I started with the prop guards and it saved me from three rough landings. I also purchased 5 pairs of props in anticipation that I would continue bumping things but I have gotten better maneuvering around and landing and I am still on my first set of props even after taking the guards off after 15 or so flights. So I would recommend them as training wheels but take them off as soon as you feel comfortable.

Thanks guys. I took to flying my phantom like a duck takes to water. Prop guards are on and will stay on for the time being. They do show up in GoPro video though. So I went to narrow view with GoPro, 1080p, 30 frames/sec. Seems to work. :D

The usage of prop guards means different things to different people:

To some people, prop guards:

+ are for beginners (amateurs), but to others prop guards have nothing whatsoever to do with experience. In fact, some consider the use of prop guards to be a sign of consideration--an act of professionalism.

+ adversely affect airworthiness, but to others prop guards don't appear to impact airworthiness.

+ make the quadcopter look "sissy", but to others masculinity has nothing to do with using prop guards. (I'll leave it to the psychologists to explain that.)

+ are not safety devices and because they never have crashes or fly-aways, there is no or little risk in not using prop guards, but to others prop guards provide a simple element of Safe Practices, such as to reduce the risk of harm, injury, or damage should the quadcopter come into unplanned or unexpected contact with another human, themselves, or some critter.

+ are annoying because the prop guards are a pain to attach and detach; furthermore, if you keep the prop guards attached all the time, finding a large enough case or tote is a pain, but others simply use a larger case or tote and-or are keenly interested in detachable prop guards.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl