Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Standard Prop guards..Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Phantom 3 Help' started by Buffalochip, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Buffalochip

I have prop guards on FC40 and my Vision 2+ but have not yet installed them on my 3 Standard. They have saved me many times in the past from blade damage due to tip-overs grazing branches. My question is: Do they rob significant time from your flight by adding extra drag and weight? Sorry if this has been hashed over time and again, I am new here. Thanks...Chip

2. flpholt

don't use them wont need them p3s autolands so gently plus they act as windsails most people got rid of them

3. Buffalochip

Thanks for your input, flpholt.

4. flpholt

no problem I have a new set in box still after all the reading about them I didn't even want them on

5. teccer

no offense meant but to tell somebody not to use guards is surely a personal decision, I've been flying phantoms for the last two years with and without guards and I can say I haven't found any difference in flying at all, the one thing I'll say is I feel happier hand catching with propguards on rather than off

most people got rid of them, how do you know that?, some do some don't

They have saved me many times in the past from blade damage due to tip-overs grazing branches. I agree with this, a set of guards are cheaper than a set of blades so if your happy with guards then use them if not don't.

as I said no offense to flpholt

Buffalochip likes this.
  6. With The Birds

If your flying in close quarters or there is even a remote chance you might fly into someone by all means use them. If your clearance to obstacles is that tight and your comfortable enough and have the skills to pull it off then you probably dont need them anyway. And any chance of injury to person or animal the flight almost certainly isnt worth attempting.

The prop gaurds do effect performance, they must by design. To what extent this is noticable depends on how you are flying and to what extent you are approaching the performance limitations of the phantom.

Buffalochip likes this.
  7. PEEFA

If your going to be filming around people or animals in close quarters I would say us them for obvious reasons.
    If not and your like me up high and wide open spaces no need for them. That is as long as you only land on the ground and you only use left stick down to cut motors not csc

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

8. RodPad

Sounds like I would stick with them, Here are some of my thoughts.

New DJI Phantom 3 4K Drone First Flight

Rod