Prop guards and VRS

Reaction score
Do the add on prop guards increase the succeptability of the Phantom to the Vortex Ring State? I have a Phantom for the fledgling flyers in my family with prop guards - any more than a moderate decent it goes into VRS and drops like a brick. My Phantom however without prop guards seems much harder to put into a VRS stall.

That's the general consensus around here. Though personally I'm not convinced. Anecdotally, it seems the prop guards greatly increase the likelihood of VRS.

I would only use them if you are planning to fly near people or in close proximity to objects. And never descend straight down. I usually spiral down with a little forward stick and a slight right yaw with a bit of down throttle.

That what I've heard so I tried to make it happen but so far it hasn't happened to me. (Knock on wood)

I was told to descend in spiral or zig zag and avoid straight down

The only time I encountered VRS was with my prop guards on - twice in same flight. I never descend straight down, with or without prop guards, now.

WyattEarp said:
The only time I encountered VRS was with my prop guards on - twice in same flight. I never descend straight down, with or without prop guards, now.

good practice on the not straight down flying/landing. something to consider that may explain VRS issues when not descending vertically is, if it is slightly breezy, aswell as descending are you actually travelling in the X-Y axis at the same speed and direction as the breeze, affectively flying in still air?? i tend to make approaches to the LZ into any wind there is so the aircraft has less chance of VRS.

Tonite - air was dead calm - trying to do a little flight training with my daughter - with the bird with the prop guards - very slow descent - hit VRS at least three times - could not believe how susceptible this thing is to VRS - or else something else is going on.

bergenfelter said:
Tonite - air was dead calm - trying to do a little flight training with my daughter - with the bird with the prop guards - very slow descent - hit VRS at least three times - could not believe how susceptible this thing is to VRS - or else something else is going on.

As you hit VRS 3 times with the prop guards on can you remove them ( remember the shorter screws) and try again? This would prove for definite that the guards are the cause if you don't get into VRS. Would be very interesting to see the results ;)

Madwak said:
As you hit VRS 3 times with the prop guards on can you remove them ( remember the shorter screws) and try again? This would prove for definite that the guards are the cause if you don't get into VRS. Would be very interesting to see the results ;)
Be sure to tell us what version of firmware you are running. The latest firmware substantially reduced the maximum descent rate. Which pretty much made VRS unlikely. I personally have never had a problem with VRS, even when trying to make it happen with prop guards installed. But I am running the latest firmware.

I quite wearing them though, because they made transport difficult (won't fit in the case). And I learned how to fly the thing Heheh. They were quite handy when landing.

bergenfelter said:
Do the add on prop guards increase the succeptability of the Phantom to the Vortex Ring State? I have a Phantom for the fledgling flyers in my family with prop guards - any more than a moderate decent it goes into VRS and drops like a brick. My Phantom however without prop guards seems much harder to put into a VRS stall.

Find out for yourself by simply removing the prop guards! Is it improved?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan