Prop Guard possible damage

Reaction score
15. Do not use prop guards as these are almost universally accepted to enhance a wobbling state when hovering or descending called Vortex Ring State (Google it). If you have had them on, but are in the process of taking them off, use the original screws not the longer ones that came with the prop guards. The long ones will eat into the motors and ruin them.

That's what they say in the "Newbies, please read this" thread. My Phantom is one week old, and I would like it to be secured with the Prop Guards. But it wouldn't be a nice idea to buy if it's going to be damaged.
Has anybody already experienced any problem while using the original Dji's Prop Guards?

I don't use prop guards, but I'm thinking VRS will not be an issue if you descend slowly. A descent of 2-3 MPH should be safe.

Yeah I usually land very slowly, but the Failsafe mode may not do so. But what I'm really afraid of are the screws to eat into the motors.

The screws will not eat into the motors. The problem is that some people remove the props guards and then put the long screws back in (instead of the original screws).

That's a good point about the RTH feature. If possible, you should always take control back once you can see your Phantom. Even people who do not use props guards have crashed due to VRS while letting the RTH feature land their Phantom.

Last edited:
The Phantom won't descend faster than 2 m/sec - in RTH or any other flying.
Propguards will catch wind like sails, will eat your flight time and make it more likely that you get into a VRS situation (and harder to get out of it)
Prop guards are generally believed to cause more problems than they prevent.

Alright dude, thanks for the help. I was willing to buy it from eBay or B&H but Amazon is really cheap. Also, found a guy on eBay selling the removable prop guards, which also came along with a rope to protect it even more, what are your thoughts on this one?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1767543054

Meta4 said:
The Phantom won't descend faster than 2 m/sec - in RTH or any other flying.
Propguards will catch wind like sails, will eat your flight time and make it more likely that you get into a VRS situation (and harder to get out of it)
Prop guards are generally believed to cause more problems than they prevent.

Idk, when flying close to a post, a tree, wall or something, the prop guards may be very useful not to protect the props, but to prevent them to stop when hitting these objects. The removable guards would be very nice though.

gfo315 said:
removable prop guards, which also came along with a rope to protect it even more
You can attach a string between the DJI OEM props guards too.

If I decided to use props guards, I would definitely go with the DJI OEM prop guards since they screw on. There's no telling what will happen if one of the guards falls off. I'm assuming the Phantom won't plummet to the earth, but it might be hard to control.

I use prop-guards for more than 7 months now; first with a phantom fc 40 and later with a p2v+ v3. Never had any kind of vrs-problems. Saved my props (from stalling or damage) at several occasions. Probably prevented also some human flesh damage.
In conclussion, highly recommanded!

gfo315 said:
Alright dude, thanks for the help. I was willing to buy it from eBay or B&H but Amazon is really cheap. Also, found a guy on eBay selling the removable prop guards, which also came along with a rope to protect it even more, what are your thoughts on this one?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1767543054
:?
Those look like okay for prop guards.
The string should catch trees nicely.
If you fly any other RC aircraft you will find them unnecessary and a bother to transport.

MHL

Well, think I'm getting the original Dji's Prop Guards, at least while I take my first flights, I don't need to be very afraid of the objects, like I am atm.
Thanks a lot guys

gfo315 said:
Well, think I'm getting the original Dji's Prop Guards, at least while I take my first flights, I don't need to be very afraid of the objects, like I am atm.
Propguards will give you a false sense of security.
You should be very afraid of objects - particularly when learning.
Trees are the natural enemy of your Phantom and buildings are a close second.
Learn to control your Phantom in a clear, open area away from trees or buildings.
Do not attempt flying near obstacles.

I'm still a newby so I use them for now. My first flights were in a small area close to trees. It isn't about a false sense of security, it's about misjudging distance. Or a big wind gust when close to the ground. If you know their limitations, guards can save you from yourself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik