Prop guard Issue

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having a big issue I ordered my phantom 3 and I thought it would be a good idea to get the prop guards before getting a case. At the moment I'm looking for a rolling case that will allow me to take all of my stuff with me on the go.The problem I am having is I can't find a case that will fit the P3P with the prop guard on. If I remove them for storage and put them back on for each flight will I damage something ?

There aren't too many cases that allow prop guards to be kept on. This case might work for you.

Another option would be to use detachable prop guards. Here are two of the most popular:

Last edited:
I have the Bestem detachable prop guards for both the P3 and P2 Iti easy to remove them and did ot effect the space in the ThinkTank heilpack style case or the hardcase. I have flown with them on a number of occasions and they don't seem to effect how either of them fly.

It does make it easier to see the aircraft, makes it look bigger, and a little less scary to people around it. Since I got two packs, I have the red ones on the P2 and the black ones on the P3.

Many beginner flyers are attracted to propguards but most experienced flyers advise against them.
They significantly affect your Phantom's performance and catch a lot of wind. They intrude into your video, can contribute to VRS and can give a false sense of safety.
Do your early flying in the open well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles rather than relying on prop guards making you safe.
If you think that you need to use prop guards, you probably need to fly in a different location.

Reactions: bbfpv
I have the Bestem detachable prop guards for both the P3 and P2 Iti easy to remove them and did ot effect the space in the ThinkTank heilpack style case or the hardcase. I have flown with them on a number of occasions and they don't seem to effect how either of them fly.

It does make it easier to see the aircraft, makes it look bigger, and a little less scary to people around it. Since I got two packs, I have the red ones on the P2 and the black ones on the P3.

So have you used the Bestems with a hard case? Did you have to cut anything because of the little attached parts?

I am an experienced flyer and I use my guards when the subject is near obstacles, which for me is often. Performance impact is a non-issue since this is not really a precision machine and performance is not important when shooting video/photos as slow, deliberate movements are the norm. I fly in wind for fun and am not bothered by what little wind the guards catch. VRS - just add a slight horizontal component to your descent and VRS is not a factor.

I like my prop guards and find nothing negative about them.....just my opinion, though....obviously, I respect anyone's decision to use guards or not...

Speaking of prop guards... I ordered the Summitlink snap-off ones. Before I receive them, anyone here happen to know if you HAVE to switch out all four screws on each arm? On my P2 with the DJI guards I only had to switch out two on each arm. I'm a little nervous about having to remove all four screws with the SUmmitlink ones (any chance that the motor will shift or become unbalanced?)

Having flown both the P2 and P3 with and without them, in still air and fairly gusty conditions, I would say the effect is minimal, might have made a big difference on the P1 etc, but for low and slow flights, I would now use them, I cannot see the harm in it.

No problems in the soft foam in my cheap hardcase.

Prop guards do not seem to bother this guy much...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Speaking of prop guards... I ordered the Summitlink snap-off ones. Before I receive them, anyone here happen to know if you HAVE to switch out all four screws on each arm? On my P2 with the DJI guards I only had to switch out two on each arm. I'm a little nervous about having to remove all four screws with the SUmmitlink ones (any chance that the motor will shift or become unbalanced?)
I just installed the Summitlink on my P3P and had no issues with the motor. Just make sure that you place the drone upside down on a hard surface and just do one at a time. Also make sure you count the screws that came with the guards. I was missing one.

The only question that I had when installing was should I put thread lock on? The screws that came out all had it on so I put a dab of medium strength thread lock on each one of the new screws.

Thread lock is a good idea, just don't relay on it. I check all body and motor screws for tightness after every 10 flights. A holdover from my Crew Chief days but I can say from experience things vibrate loose. Our definition of a Helicopter was "Ten thousand screaming nuts and bolts flying in close formation"

You should only use thread-lock that is either pre-cured (like the blue stuff on the OEM screws)

OR,

types that are Safe For Plastics.

Other types will make the plastic (shell) brittle.

Here is a short video of my test flight with the Bestem prop guards. I was testing some of the features, Auto-land, resetting homepoint etc. The low battery alarm went off, and I brought it back to catch it, but as I just about had it, the critical alarm came on, and it headed back to the new homepoint about 50m away. My RTH is at 50m due to the light towers around the sports field. I had very limited control until it reached homepoint, after that I could control the direction of descent, but could not stop it descending. It was a pretty hard landing,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There aren't too many cases that allow prop guards to be kept on. Here is one that'll work:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Code=as2&tag=ph079-20&linkId=GSR473GHPDNWFNPA

Another option would be to use detachable prop guards. Here are two of the most popular:

Bestem: http://aerial.bestemusa.com/Phantom...for-DJI-Phantom-all-models-Set-of-4_p_13.html
Summitlink: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Code=as2&tag=ph079-20&linkId=6NTN4XSNWGF4235P

Just opened my P3 tonight. The detachable prop guards fit just like on my P2V. I don't mind just laying the prop guards on top of my P2V in the case (there is plenty of "squishy foam" on the top so they don't put pressure on my phantom. I got mine from Atlanta hobby - http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/Quick-Disconnects-for-Phantom-Prop-Guards-969p18549.htm
Please note you have to purchase the actual prop guards separately. You screw these into the prop guards and then they nicely "pop" into place. They are a little expensive but cheaper than a new case!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31