Prop flew off at 250 ft and 1 minute in.

Now what's the difference between this ones and the p2vision+ Ones other than the plastic hub? can I use my old metal hub ones instead?

I guess the plastic hub explains why P3 props are less than half the price of P2 props. Personally I'd rather pay $15 a pair for metal hubs.
True that....
But can I use my metal hub props? I literally have like 8 brand new pairs from my previous phantom

Yeah but replace at what frequency? I am at 37 flights and I remove them after mostly 2, so they have been on and off probably 20 times. The plastic is pretty tough, I don't expect it to fail (blade snapping) and the threads do not seem to be wearing. I use both hands and try to check that the angle from finger tight to where I stop is the same. I have not seen reports of them snapping, so it seems the only risk is them coming off...

The original P2 props were 9443s while the P3 has the 9450 "thrust boosted" type so they have slightly different pitch (9443s provide less thrust). DJI does make metal-hubbed 9450s.

True that....
But can I use my metal hub props? I literally have like 8 brand new pairs from my previous phantom

The original P2 props were 9443s while the P3 has the 9450 "thrust boosted" type so they have slightly different pitch (less power). DJI does make metal-hubbed 9450s.
I do have the 9450s with the metal hub, I know they have the same number I just wasn't sure why DJI started to use plastic ones ...

Cool then you are good to go! I understand you may get slightly shorter flight times (~30 secs) due to the increased mass of the metal hubs vs composite.

I do have the 9450s with the metal hub, I know they have the same number I just wasn't sure why DJI started to use plastic ones ...

Carefull of aftermarket props check out my test this was due to the prop over flexing causing the pitch to fluctuate making the fc go crazy and the cord and root of the prop different from oem
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Richard W
You gave us the honest deposition here. Hopefully you have learned the lesson, I am not saying this lightly, and you will take better care of the next bird, and the props in particular by doing preflight checks, after crash assessment, risk assessment ($20 props vs $1k crashed drone), etc.

Even without crashing the props into anything they need to be discarded and replaced with a new set from time to time. I do not know if it is 20 flights or 120, but the material gets tired, wears and weakens, gets damaged by (mis)handling even when not visible with naked eye. Replace the props routinely, and after any crash ... just a preventive maintenance at the cost of $20.
I just bought a brand new set too. But the defective prop couldn't of had more than 20 flights on it. I've asked how it was pilot error. Will let everyone know once I get their response

I just bought a brand new set too. But the defective prop couldn't of had more than 20 flights on it. I've asked how it was pilot error. Will let everyone know once I get their response

How tight do you usually put them on?

Check out this picture of prop that seems to have come off another phantom 3 during flight next to this one....
mcventures.jpg
blade 1.jpg

So 1 of my 4 props that I usually use, one of the black ones, is harder to install just slightly. 3/4 of them I can spin and they go all the way to the hub. This one will not free spin to the hub, but will still install pretty easy. After they are spun down I tighten them using both hands maybe 5 degrees past finger tight. I can also take them off by hand, but they are pretty tight. I have thought about replacing that one black one, but it is also always the one that is the hardest to get off. So I debate if it is less likely to fly off for that reason. I really wish the OP tried to spin the prop back on, I would like to know if the threads are stripped. I could definitely someone just spinning a prop like my down to where it first starts to feel resistance, especially if they are worried about over tightening....

Noob here.

Is it it just me or do those threads look like an insert? They are an off-white compared to the rest of the photo. I'm sitting here with a new prop out of the box my P3A came in. The threads are the same color as the rest of the prop.

Could this be an aftermarket prop marked with DJI's logo and number?

T

Carefull of aftermarket props check out my test this was due to the prop over flexing causing the pitch to fluctuate making the fc go crazy and the cord and root of the prop different from oem

Holy smoke ... that was dramatic. You would think the drone would crash right away, but its smarts try to (over)compensate for a prop that starts to fail. Then, when the prop fails completely, the dramatic and unexpected crash.

Thanks for posting ... thanks for the warning ... appreciated!

got my bill the other day. $506 plus im out a battery so really $650. better to sell and buy a brand new one at $800
Sorry to hear that man. Did they provide any information and did you attempt to challenge it any?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow, almost too crazy to believe. You are ballsier than I am, knowing it would behave like that and still sending it up with them. Wouldnt a mid air cvc be as gentle to get it back down? Did your prior tries end with such a thud?
Sorry to hear that man. Did they provide any information and did you attempt to challenge it any?

Yeah I am curious as to how they say you are at fault.

The only info provided was that it was due to pilot error. I emailed asking for explanation

Hand tight. Shouldn't really matter they were tight enough to brake the threads like thay

Last edited:
The plastic hub is used on the p3p to help lock it in place. Kind of like the plastic in a locknut. I think the dynamic braking will cause the silky smooth metal hub threaded props to come off.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic