Prop dyeing question

Success! Heating on the stove to not quite boiling did the trick. And yes, I found that red is tricky. Ends up more a red wine color instead of fire engine red.

Success! Heating on the stove to not quite boiling did the trick. And yes, I found that red is tricky. Ends up more a red wine color instead of fire engine red.
Nice!! Post a pic lets see em!! If you go on the rit dye website they have color recipes on there. You can always re dye them again with a more concentrated mix of water to dye

Anyone have a source for florescent orange or green dye? Rit doesn't appear to make it anymore.

If the remote is made of the same plastic as the P2 remote, then you need a different kind of dye... I believe it's called "polydye", and from what I remember the smell is BAAAADD.... definitely something done outdoors, or in a well-ventilated area... and I think the P2/P3 shell is the same plastic as the remote.

I'm talking car paint

When you pulled the props out, did you rinse them, towel them off, let them air dry? It seems you could end up with some pretty bad blotches if you just let the drops air dry but, IDK.

Love the results on the orange "Procharged97" showed.

I'm not sure how "magnetic" the gray will end up, might be more like "old tombstone" or "stealth". It might need something more to add some POP to it.

The advantage to stickers is they can be easily undone if you want to sell your stuff. It's a partial coverage and I haven't come across any themes I really like yet.

It pops in person. Very hard color to capture on film. But it's automotive paint I'm talking about. A few gloss coats and wax... mm mm

I don't care about resale. Enjoy your toys!!

Does that ford color have metal flake in it? Would the heavy flake interfere with the compass or anything in the Phantom? I have a bunch of house of color paints/flakes/pearls and was thinking about doing this

When you pulled the props out, did you rinse them, towel them off, let them air dry? It seems you could end up with some pretty bad blotches if you just let the drops air dry but, IDK.

Love the results on the orange "Procharged97" showed.
Thanks! I rinsed with cool water and wiped with a microfiber..the blue ones i didnt do that with and it left little dark hairlines

It does and I did think about that. I don't think it would but foil does mess with the systems

Thankfully new shells are cheap!

Does that ford color have metal flake in it? Would the heavy flake interfere with the compass or anything in the Phantom? I have a bunch of house of color paints/flakes/pearls and was thinking about doing this

Ahhh I see. Sorry.

If a dye I'd think just toss glitter on it before the dye dries lol

Not sure how that works. I'd be interested in the props tho. My father did paint his props however will no ill effects

I would dye the props. Paint, well thats another issue. Paint weighs. Not good for torque, motors or the mounts I would think.

Or the delicate airfoils. Already been thread about the sound.
I know of a experimental aircraft that went astray because they painted a pinstripe on the leading edge of the wing.

A member here had his painted in automotive paint..his name is Bailey5..this is his i found on here

Attachments

• 1463785558533.jpg
    1463785558533.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 337
Hope Procharged97 doesn't mind but I stole his idea. Used 3M tape today and dyed my props. Weather sucks and couldn't fly.

0ed60d941a183b4fb265cfe4c44668d9.jpg

2f06f2d33de2474dd97468b847b5385c.jpg
**** that looks awesome!!

I just dyed dome last night. They turned out great! Thanks for all the advice. Now I don't need to buy the carbon reenforced just to get black props, I just dyed the white ones :)
* I rinsed mine in cold water right after pulling them out of the dye. I then dried them off with a micro-fiber cloth.

BTW - still can't figure out how to change the color of the white rubber/silicone gimbal dampers.
Left then in for over an hour and they did not change. Well, they turned a little reddish :)
d82001dea86f71a09fa46c8caf03b2c1.jpg
ec26df8eba157351e1c9380ce67ab998.jpg
03ba10364003b3adb84d71f4edb133de.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Also did the DJI prop guards just to see. I don't use them as I have removable ones. Just wanted to see if they would turnout well.
They did!
26afae4a02d82a3553b16d817a4d5fcb.jpg

I just got them from eBay. I ordered them while I was waiting for my Phantom to arrive, so I didn't mind having them sent from China. I think they are all pretty much the same though.
I like the removable because even when I don't have them snapped on I feel the plate that goes under the motors helps with strengthening the area prone to cracks.
HQdeal Removable Propellers Prop Protector Guard Bumpers for DJI Phantom 3 White

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav