Prop dyeing question

Reaction score
ive read some earlier posts about dying the P3P white props different colors. For those that have done this, what Rit dye do I need to use? The regular or the Dye More type for synthetics?

Liquid Rit dye is commonly used. It comes in a powder form too. Check out this post for more details on how to dye your parts,

I had success using a permanent marker. Put some nice red tips on white blades.
Sharpie and scotch tape for me too ;)
IMG_3862.JPG

Reactions: Fplvert
I used the liquid rit dye..walmart (aisle with laundry soap) $3 a bottle...i used 2 cups of hot water with 1 bottle of dye..mixed in a throw away tin pan..cleaned props with alcohol wipes and dropped them in...these are my results after 35min for blue..orange was almost an hour...i used 3m vinyl tape to make the stripes before the dye. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 1463712166011.jpg
    1463712166011.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,247
I used the liquid rit dye..walmart $3 a bottle...i used 2 cups of hot water with 1 bottle of dye..mixed in a throw away tin pan..cleaned props with alcohol wipes and dropped them in...these are my results after 35min for blue..orange was almost an hour...i used 3m vinyl tape to make the stripes before the dye. Hope this helps
I tried that and dang dye came under the tape in places . Those look good .

I used the liquid rit dye..walmart (aisle with laundry soap) $3 a bottle...i used 2 cups of hot water with 1 bottle of dye..mixed in a throw away tin pan..cleaned props with alcohol wipes and dropped them in...these are my results after 35min for blue..orange was almost an hour...i used 3m vinyl tape to make the stripes before the dye. Hope this helps
Well, I put a whole bottle of red dye in a glass vase and added enough hot water to cover the props. Did that last night and now, 13 hours latter, almost NO color change. Slightly pink at best. Do you think I need to heat the liquid? Hot hot and for how long?

Well, I put a whole bottle of red dye in a glass vase and added enough hot water to cover the props. Did that last night and now, 13 hours latter, almost NO color change. Slightly pink at best. Do you think I need to heat the liquid? Hot hot and for how long?

Yes you need to add BOILING water to the dye.

Then add props straight away.

Reactions: Raja777m
Heat water till almost boiling. I hear red is harder to achive..try less water for red

Heat water till almost boiling. I hear red is harder to achive..try less water for red

Yes, red is the worst. Most times you'll get pink if you don't do it just right... I don't know what "just right" is, so I stay away from red... lol..

And yea, water should be close to boiling. I used a glass rectangular baking pan, used about 1/3 of the bottle, let the props sit for about 30 minutes in the pan, and done...

I want to actually paint my whole drone and remote..

"Magnetic" dark gray on ford vehicles. There seems to be a variation of this color as some are light or flat gray while others are far more rich and darker in color.

Of course I'm going for the rich dark color like my explorer. Looks amazing in the sun light. And should be a fun project!!!

I want to actually paint my whole drone and remote..

If the remote is made of the same plastic as the P2 remote, then you need a different kind of dye... I believe it's called "polydye", and from what I remember the smell is BAAAADD.... definitely something done outdoors, or in a well-ventilated area... and I think the P2/P3 shell is the same plastic as the remote.

I did my props, but I didn't stop there, I also did my quad shell & TX. :)
Would love to see a pic of how your tx turned out. It's raining here so I am thinking about doing my props and possibly the tx tonight.
Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31