Prop Balancing !

pault said:
Hi Glen

Regarding the packaging of the rods, are they protected in any way from bending ? I ask because we have a narrow letterbox dating from the Victoria era and the postie quite often bends things to fit (he is trying to be helpful, I think :))

Thanks
Paul

Should be fine Paul it's only 6mm and comes in bubble wrap envelope.
Next batch won't be ready to send untill the 30th or 31st of this month sorry about that.
If you want one email me now and I will but you on the list. I will email when I recive them for payment and to make sure you still want one.
Thanks
Glen

LOL :D pull_up

I ordered two of the rods produced by bigvern. Both arrived from the UK in 8 days; Vern said it would take 5 to 7. The delay was due to our MLK holiday. The rods are very well machined and work as advertised. I am more than satisfied with both the workmanship and the delivery time.

skyhighdiver said:
Has anyone put this rod and prop on the Dubroo 499 to see if it works
or is it to heavy

I have seen someone report using one succesfully on a Dubro with Glen's rod. Might have been on another forum, though. Glen might be able to point you to that report, he's got a few threads going. ;)

All I'll say is it absolutely works on a low friction surface like glass - I know the Dubro has a reputation for being well made and low-friction too. You can see from my video that the cr@ppy plastic balancer I tried it on almost worked but it was made with a level of care and attention to detail and materials that its £6 retail price tag would suggest. :lol:

Works great on Dubro 499.

Just received some cheap p2 props off eBay. Going to see how they do on the balancer.

Glen's Stainless Vision Prop Balancing Rod Reviewed

I too was a little concerned that the mass of the stainless rod might be too much for the featherweight Vision props to move the rod on their own (the DuBro comes with a very thin rod), But I'm happy to report that it seems to work quite well when setup as shown on my bench in the photo with the rod on top of both DuBro wheels and resting far enough back to distribute the weight evenly across:

Before I got Glen's prop balancing rod I tried the rubber tube over the original DuBro rod pushed into the prop crown technique, but the results were questionable. When I was satisfied the prop was situated correctly and checked balance, then compared the result with the same prop on Glen's balancing rod, the results matched, but like I say the rubber tube method is inexact.

(BTW, I tested some non-DJI props off eBay from China and they were balanced pretty close, but their threads were awful. Neat thing, Glen's stainless rod is so hard I was able to use it to "clean-out" the threads with a little silicone, tho you may want to buy separate bolts to do that instead of risking any damage to the rod, and no worries... even the USPS can't hurt these rods they're so solid)

Glen, if you were to do another run of these it would be interesting to turn down the rod a few millimeters on either side of where the DuBro wheels contact the shaft to reduce the diameter of the rod... theoretically there would be less surface friction and as a side benefit the rod couldn't slip off the wheels. But I'm very happy with its current design, very sensitive... I added a corner of a mini Post-It note and it immediately rotated to the bottom!

Thanks again for taking on this project Glen!
iDrone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 448
Big Vern, I haven't received the order yet....thoughts?[/quote]

Hello Sledge
Rod was posted on the 16th post office in the UK say 5-7 days hope it arrives soon.
I have been receiving a few emails saying rods have been delivered in the states but they were posted on the 13th.
Hope that helps.

Glen.[/quote]

Thanks!

Hello
Thanks for the comments people.
I did see on another thread some one said I was charging £35 delivered to the states that is not the case they are £17.79 delivered to the States.(i think he just got muddled).
Again thanks for the comments.
Glen.

Yes, very sorry, I did get it wrong, and I just fixed it:
The stainless rods from the UK are £17.79 each (about $30?) shipped to the USA,
but most likely much higher precision, I expect.

Good catch, thanks.

In doing the currency conversion, PayPal might end up charging USA buyers
a bit more than the actual exchange rate would indicate.

I just ordered, sent £17.79 which you should get with no PayPal fee.
Looking forward to getting one of your fine, precision balance rods.

Thanks for your very helpful efforts in supporting the P2V crowd.
Your kindness and thoughtfulness are appreciated, Gary

Received mine yesterday. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks very well made. Thanks for sorting this out!

Mine came in the post today... I have already balanced up 2 props on my dubro and I must say... happier'n a pig in **** over here.

Glen... you did a beautiful job and my sincere gratitude- I just checked a previously "balanced" prop from my former method, and it was waaaaaaay off- either I screwed the pooch or my former method sucked... or both. This leaves nothing to the imagination- simplicity in design.

The mentions of narrowing a spot where the rollers meet on the dubro would give an infinitesimal added accuracy from my opinion and they would need to be at least 3 to 4 mm wide to accommodate the metal discs and the distance between the 2 notches (which I forgot to measure) has 2 separate settings based on the setup of the dubro (for larger props than the phantom or if you clamp it) so that is also a consideration- but I think it is over-engineering to be honest.

As for what is the most accurate potent potable for the glass to rest this rod? I submit that 40 year old Bruichladdich deserves the honor of hanging out underneath this fine piece of metal with excellent mettle.

Thanks very much for all your positive comments people, alot via email.
I'm pleased your that happy with them.
Next batch will be ready to ship Friday.
All the pre orders will be sent first.
Thanks again.
Glen

Bigvern said:
Got these propeller balancing rods back from the machine shop yesterday ! Cost was quite high because I only wanted 3 made to see what they would be like. But have spoken to them today and if anyone is interested in purchasing one, I can order a lot larger quantity I would be able to sell them for £13 each + postage which would be a genunie postage cost. (don't know price at this time)
They are made of stainless steal left hand thread one end right hand the other marked black one end for the black prop silver the other.
Any interest please email me at [email protected]
Thanks.
Glen.

Big Vern, I still haven't received the balancing rod?? Ideas? Dave V.

Hello Dave / Sledge
First of all I would like to apologise for it being late.
Not sure why Post office this end told me 5-7 days but it seems a couple are taking longer, I will ask Post office about it today. I do have prof of posting. I have just been through all of the receipts and see yours was posted on the 16th. At this stage I can only apologise again, but I will take it up with the post office today.
Glen

Thanks Glen, I am really in no rush, but just want to make sure it didn't get lost in transit. Thanks! Dave

Sledge said:
Thanks Glen, I am really in no rush, but just want to make sure it didn't get lost in transit. Thanks! Dave

Hello Dave

I have been to the Post office. Not much help. This is what the lady told me.

Delivery is 5-7 working days. Item was posted on the 16th that day don't count apparently.

So we have the 17th , 18th & 19th weekend don't count 20th don't count, told me it was a bank holiday your side of the water? (I don't know) so then we have 21st 22nd 23rd and 24th then 25th and 26th don't count weekend, then we have 27th 28th and 29th

She makes that 8 days so it's one day late by her reckoning.

Hope you follow that! I did have trouble especially with the growing queue and tutting going on behind me!

Now the punch line “sorry a package has to be 15 days late before we will investigate it as lost”

I do know this doesn’t help you but I had to send it! Just made me smile.

So sorry about the delay again Dave. Please let me know when it turns up.

Glen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31