Prop Balancing !

Hello Sledge
Just pay the money into my paypal account and I will ship it tomorow for you.
Cheers !

$17.79 U.S. correct?

the 17.79 is £ (pounds) not $ (dollars).

garygid said:
the 17.79 is £ (pounds) not $ (dollars).

Yep and if you pay with Pay Pal it will do the conversion for you. I think when I ordered mine it was $29 and some change.

Oh boy...looks like I owe Big Vern some more money.....I'll send another $12....sorry!

I'm so international, right?

Oye. $30 US is steep for a metal rod. I was interested till I realized the conversion amount. **** US dollar is in the tank. Lol. Ah hell I'm still interested, it just seems it would be a lot cheaper if he didn't have to ship from overseas.

Sledge said:
Oh boy...looks like I owe Big Vern some more money.....I'll send another $12....sorry!

No worries Sledge!
Rod shipped today
Thanks.

Received my P2 prop balancing rod (very nice!) and placed it on my Dubro prop balancer..

All four of my P2 props required some sanding... one required a lot!

Haven't yet had a chance to fly it, but my reason for purchasing the prop balancer in the first place is that on full vertical thrust, my gopro would show noticable vibration.

Will report back.

If the props are spinning fast enough for the P2V to be hovering in the air,
would carefully touching the end of each arm, perhaps on the side
of the end right near the motor, allow one to feel any significant
vibration from that propeller? Yes, very, very carefully!

Bigvern said:
Sledge said:

No worries Sledge!
Rod shipped today
Thanks.

Big Vern, I haven't received the order yet....thoughts?

Sledge said:
Bigvern said:
Sledge said:

No worries Sledge!
Rod shipped today
Thanks.

Big Vern, I haven't received the order yet....thoughts?

Hello Sledge
Rod was posted on the 16th post office in the UK say 5-7 days hope it arrives soon.
I have been receiving a few emails saying rods have been delivered in the states but they were posted on the 13th.
Hope that helps.
Glen.

I don' know if I can explain this in English because it's not my first language, but I try anyway.

I don't think any of the prop balancing tools I have seen so far are any good, or at least not very precise.

When you put a prop on a thick rod like this, it must take quite a lot of weight to rotate it, which mean that the prop have to be way out of balance to make it rotate.

I'm not an engineer but in my head it just sounds obvious that, the thicker the a rod is the more force it will take to make it rotate, is that correct?

So my idea with the rod that Bigvern are offering is like this:

Simply on the lathe take away the middle part so the rod is only around 2-3 mm

Now you would be able to balance the prop way more precise, and it would be easy to make.

Attachments

• Prop 11a.jpg
    Prop 11a.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 371
Klaus said:
I don' know if I can explain this in English because it's not my first language, but I try anyway.

I don't think any of the prop balancing tools I have seen so far are any good, or at least not very precise.

When you put a prop on a thick rod like this, it must take quite a lot of weight to rotate it, which mean that the prop have to be way out of balance to make it rotate.

I'm not an engineer but in my head it just sounds obvious that, the thicker the a rod is the more force it will take to make it rotate, is that correct?

So my idea with the rod that Bigvern are offering is like this:

Simply on the lathe take away the middle part so the rod is only around 2-3 mm

Now you would be able to balance the prop way more precise, and it would be easy to make.

Hello Klaus

Thanks for you views on the balancing rods!
I did ask at the machine shop about this when I first ordered them, the cost would have been double to manufacture without much gain.
Please watch pull_up's video. There is not that much friction. But I do see what you are saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxXGC74M ... re&index=3

Glen

Hello Klaus

I did ask at the machine shop about this when I first ordered them, the cost would have been double to manufacture without much gain.
Please watch pull_up's video. There is not that much friction. But I do see what you are saying.

Glen

Hi Glen & Pull_up

Yeah I can see on Pull_up's video it seems like it working perfect. (I just need to know what Whiskey are the best for prop balancing) :D

I still think, that the thinner the rod the more precise (maybe I'm wrong)

Glen, what is the reason for having thread in both end of the rod?

Great video Pull_up, thanks

Klaus said:
Hello Klaus

Glen

Hi Glen & Pull_up

Yeah I can see on Pull_up's video it seems like it working perfect. (I just need to know what Whiskey are the best for prop balancing) :D

I still think, that the thinner the rod the more precise (maybe I'm wrong)

Glen, what is the reason for having thread in both end of the rod?

Great video Pull_up, thanks

Hello Klaus

Because two of the props are right hand thread and two are left hand thread

Glen

Hi Glen

Regarding the packaging of the rods, are they protected in any way from bending ? I ask because we have a narrow letterbox dating from the Victoria era and the postie quite often bends things to fit (he is trying to be helpful, I think :))

Thanks
Paul

Pull_Up said:
Your postie would need to be really determined to bend Glen's rod - it's solid stainless. Mind you if your postie struggles getting a thin rod into your letterbox you probably need to explain he shouldn't be trying to shove it in widthways! ;)
:) (Nothing our postie would do would surprise me - he must have been last in the line when they were handing out the grey matter !)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj