Prop balancing

Reaction score
OK tell me how many of you balance or is planning on balancing the original DJI props.

I think I read here someplace that you should balance after so many hours of use, true or false ?

I have the P2 with zenmuse gimbal, DJI IOSDMINI GoPro black + FPV

Thanks for your help

Joe

Hey Joe,
if you're flying with the Self-Tightening propellers that come with the Phantom 2, you will never balance them.
Perhaps other brands require this, but I can assure you that your stock props will not need to be balanced at any point.
If they take some bad hits, just replace the prop.

Thanks, Nintendrone, it runs fine I was just wondering because I flew fixed wing prop planes and we did that frequently.

nintendrone64 said:
Hey Joe,
if you're flying with the Self-Tightening propellers that come with the Phantom 2, you will never balance them.
Perhaps other brands require this, but I can assure you that your stock props will not need to be balanced at any point.
If they take some bad hits, just replace the prop.

This is actually incorrect. With the right tool, balancing the self-tightening props is very simple and the results are noticeable.

Yes you need to balance. The duo balancer and special rod from Atlanta Hobby + ND filter are what you need for jello-free video

What is another option besides sanding? I don't like a scratched up surface on my props.

Thank you! I have some dark gray props I'm going to put on one of my Phantoms but they need balancing first

I start in the center and if it needs more, I put it closer to the hub.......I suppose it doesn't really matter but that's the way I started so I won't change. Try it...I guarantee you will be satisfied with the result !

JWarren said:
What is another option besides sanding? I don't like a scratched up surface on my props.

Tiny strips of Scotch tape. I did about a dozen in under 30 min including balancer setup. No sanding, no fuss, no muss, no jello.

I use the balancing rod with dubro balancer, and tape on the top backsides of the prop. closer to the centre the bigger the piece will need to be to get the same as a piece of tape further out towards the tips. 1 out of 10 was perfectly balanced now no More Jello.

JWarren said:

Just thought I would pass on an additional technique for "static" prop balancing. I have been using clear spray paint on the bottom surface of the lighter blade. Test, spray again, if needed. If you spray too much, let dry thoroughly, sand and test. This method has worked very well on the OXOXO props we all use, com'on, you know you do. (for test flights, right?). Works well on the carbon fiber props to; certainly don't want scratch marks on carbon fiber.

Not sure how this would effect the "dynamic" balance, going from the hub to the tip, but if any vibration is eliminated at all, that's the goal.

The dji props seldom need any balancing in my limited experience.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4