Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Prop Balancing Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WillU, Jun 19, 2014.

1. WillU

I'm new to this and have watched and read a little bit about prop balancing, but i was wondering if it's important to polish the props at all after balancing. I've bought a couple sets of unbalanced carbon fiber props and cant help but notice after balancing the nice smooth shine is now a dull, matte color. And worse many props are shiny on one side and rough on the other.

I don't care about how they look so much, just want to be sure i'm not loosing performance. Is polishing recommended? And if so, how should I go about it?

2. kydan

Do yourself a favor and drop the carbon fiber. Only use DJI props. My reference is several threads from here.

Certainly polish the carbon fiber props after balaclava.

3. WillU

Thanks. My experience with them though is they're a little bouncy and soft. I picked up a couple carbon fiber sets along with some other accessories and after my first attempt at balancing them the phantom seemed to fly way better. Less vibration, faster acceleration, etc... I was hoping to shoot a quick video doing a more scientific comparison of a few but wanted to make sure i was doing the balancing correct first.

So it sounds like yes to polishing, but I'm still not sure how. Is there a special polishing compound i should use? Are they supposed to be sanded with 2000grit or something first?

4. brad90631

i use tape on the underside of my carbon fiber blades.

5. WillU

Thank you, very helpful. I actually have that cheap little balancer but know it's not the best and I'm going to upgrade to something like the Dubro. It's funny though looking at the comments of that video - I think what I'm seeing is that there is no "right" way to do it. Some people say sand only this part, some people say no sanding at all, etc.

6. Hazel1919

7. WillU

Ahh! so Beeswax, I'll give that a try. That was an excellent looking guide, thank you!

8. ElGuano

Yeah, that method of hand-catching really deserves the jackie chan picture.