Prop Balancing? is it necessary?

wow, interesting thread... so having been scared by the "Balance Your Props" believers I faithfully trundled off to my nearest hobby shop. The first shop owner didn't carry any prop balancers and gave me the questioning your sanity raised eyebrow treatment. The second hobby shop owner was slightly less condescending and way more understanding and helpful.
Yes I could purchase an expensive prop balancer from him and he would be happy to pocket my money but given his 40 years experience as a modeller of way bigger, more complex and larger rotor bladed aircraft I believed him when he said there was really no need unless it was obviously causing a problem given the small lightweight plastic nature of the blades and yes just buy another blade if there is a problem.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke are the believers i think i'll follow on this one, but thx to all for their honest opinions. Gotta love a forum full of passionate ppl

Reactions: snowghost
wow, interesting thread... so having been scared by the "Balance Your Props" believers I faithfully trundled off to my nearest hobby shop. The first shop owner didn't carry any prop balancers and gave me the questioning your sanity raised eyebrow treatment. The second hobby shop owner was slightly less condescending and way more understanding and helpful.
Yes I could purchase an expensive prop balancer from him and he would be happy to pocket my money but given his 40 years experience as a modeller of way bigger, more complex and larger rotor bladed aircraft I believed him when he said there was really no need unless it was obviously causing a problem given the small lightweight plastic nature of the blades and yes just buy another blade if there is a problem.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke are the believers i think i'll follow on this one, but thx to all for their honest opinions. Gotta love a forum full of passionate ppl

Instead of relying on a hobby shop owner for advice, you might want to check with some of the world champion model helicopter pilots and RC airplane pilots-- I am sure you would receive a much different response from those professionals who fly remote controlled aircraft almost every day. An unbalanced prop will could also cause jello effect in your video--

IMHO, and having flown remote controlled aircraft for several years, you received some very bad advice.

:)

Cheers:)

Bob and I bump heads from time to time.. but I will definitely +1 him on his last statement! You also have to remember... the hobby shop exists to sustain customers. The best way is to teach people to need them.

Reactions: bobmyers
First, I call 99% BS on that video. Debunking most of it by saying, is a known unbalanced prop going to have a perfect center balance? Right there is screams BS.

I've only ever bought DJI props. They are not much more then others and it's _way_ to easy for unknown companies to not care about quality and put out cheap blades. Better to spend the extra $1 or $2 and get good blades. I've balanced my P2 props and they were next to perfect. My P3 balancer just arrived and my P3 props were just about perfect. I did add a small piece of Scotch tape to some, about 1/4" by 1/4" at most. How much weight is this? Probably not even worth using.

I don't think checking props is a bad idea. I think saving a dollar or two buying non DJI props is not worth it. I also think people should be just fine if they don't check the balance of their DJI props. But again... not a bad idea.

First, I call 99% BS on that video. Debunking most of it by saying, is a known unbalanced prop going to have a perfect center balance? Right there is screams BS.

I've only ever bought DJI props. They are not much more then others and it's _way_ to easy for unknown companies to not care about quality and put out cheap blades. Better to spend the extra $1 or $2 and get good blades. I've balanced my P2 props and they were next to perfect. My P3 balancer just arrived and my P3 props were just about perfect. I did add a small piece of Scotch tape to some, about 1/4" by 1/4" at most. How much weight is this? Probably not even worth using.

I don't think checking props is a bad idea. I think saving a dollar or two buying non DJI props is not worth it. I also think people should be just fine if they don't check the balance of their DJI props. But again... not a bad idea.
They could produce a batch that was out of spec and you may not ever know it unless you check. I am sure that they don't check every prop-- they may check a manufacturing run.

Instead of relying on a hobby shop owner for advice, you might want to check with some of the world champion model helicopter pilots and RC airplane pilots-- I am sure you would receive a much different response from those professionals who fly remote controlled aircraft almost every day. An unbalanced prop will could also cause jello effect in your video--

IMHO, and having flown remote controlled aircraft for several years, you received some very bad advice.

:)

Cheers:)
indeed the shop owner is a pilot with experience and I would say he's in it for the hobby not the $ as his shop is a very small footprint in an industrial strip mall and he only works 4 days a week at it. I shall head over to local modellers airfield and quiz a few "greyhairs" :)

indeed the shop owner is a pilot with experience and I would say he's in it for the hobby not the $ as his shop is a very small footprint in an industrial strip mall and he only works 4 days a week at it. I shall head over to local modellers airfield and quiz a few "greyhairs" :)

Curious as well.

It doesn't take a degree people. If it rotates and isnt balanced, it will vibrate! If it spins really fast and vibrates, the vibrations can cause breakage. We have all seen glass shatter with certain frequencies of sound, which is nothing but vibration. There is no opinion that can change this! The only place in this that opinion has any bearing is in determining what level of risk a person is willing to take.

I noticed something on DJI replacement blades that I just purchased. If you take the blade and run it on your fingers as if you were cutting your finger with a knife they feel very smooth. I checked all eight of the OEM blades and although they fly fine, they do not feel as smooth as the replacements.

Also is it a big deal if any of the blades don't spin freely on the spindle to tightness? I have one that spins a couple rotations and then takes a little bit of effort to get it all the way tight.

I figure if it does have a little bit of resistance it would be the least likely of all of them to come off in flight.

It doesn't take a degree people. If it rotates and isnt balanced, it will vibrate! If it spins really fast and vibrates, the vibrations can cause breakage. We have all seen glass shatter with certain frequencies of sound, which is nothing but vibration. There is no opinion that can change this! The only place in this that opinion has any bearing is in determining what level of risk a person is willing to take.
Speed of rotation (RPM) is not the only factor, the weight of the blade is factor as well, also the cross sectional mass of the blade as you progress towards the tip lessens. These are really light blades so
1) the centripetal force overall at maximum RPM is less the lighter the blade and
2) the taper and thinning of the blade as you get towards the tips also helps to lessen centripetal force.
I just don't think the majority of Phantom blades need be worried about balancing to the degree larger and heavier bladed do but having said that if you notice jello or hear odd sound or experience vibration then definitely either balance or replace the set - they're inexpensive.

And just so I don't get posts about centripetal vs. centrifugal forces :) ... Centrifugal Force vs Centripetal Force - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

I noticed something on DJI replacement blades that I just purchased. If you take the blade and run it on your fingers as if you were cutting your finger with a knife they feel very smooth. I checked all eight of the OEM blades and although they fly fine, they do not feel as smooth as the replacements.

Also is it a big deal if any of the blades don't spin freely on the spindle to tightness? I have one that spins a couple rotations and then takes a little bit of effort to get it all the way tight.

I figure if it does have a little bit of resistance it would be the least likely of all of them to come off in flight.
I too have only one rotor that it gets a little stiff towards the end f the threads and I have to hold the motor from turning whilst I continue to wind on the blade for a couple more turns but so far no problems and it's already threded on a number of turns so it's not as if it's been cross threaded or damage. Could be the threads on the top of the motor aren't perfect towards the bottom - I'll have a look. Was like that from new.

Can someone provide a link for a good balancer?
I have 2 balancers....but i don`t have a place to put them...and i don`t trust them in a simple glass...

It must be for a P3.....a complete set up.

Thanks!

I have 2 from the first link, but i need the "machine" from the second link!
Many Thanks!

I guess stay with dji official replacement if there is a replacement required if damaged in any way.
These blades are really light. It appears rare stress fractures in AC are attributed to previous stresses ie light crashes or flying with damaged blades attributing to foundations being laid for stress fractures to develop.
Someone said world clasd Rc pilots use prop balancers. That makes sense if you are fighting for minimal improvement to take you over the finish line 1St.
Phantoms are leisure and recreation ACs. Is rhis really a requirement. I think not.
Ensure you carryout a visual inspection of each blade before every flight. If it is damaged in amyway replace it with Dji official. All good.

...........Having flown and repaired many rc helicopters in my time, there is NO doubt that blade balance is important,but it would take some convincing to have me balancing P3S blades.....its kinda like what to wear,sneakers or shoes.....if thats what you feel is right.............then balance away......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers