Prop arm bent after crash (battery fell out mid flight)

Reaction score
Had about 3 mins flight time on a brand new, slightly bigger (and more wire to tuck) battery when at about 100ft elevation I saw the battery slide out and fall! The Phantom inverted and plunged to the ground. Fortunately I was in a meadow and was able to see where it landed, and was able to find the battery too!

I had just taken the camera off so I could do some more aggressive flying which made the Phantom lighter when it plummented.
Not even a prop was broken,so I thought I was lucky...
Reloaded the battery and all the right lights came on, but I noticed a dimple/crease in one of the arms right behind the motor. When I started the motors the prop on this arm touches the arm now. The Phantom must have landed on that arm, tweaking the motor back and bending the tip of the arm up so the end of the prop blade now skims the surface of that arm.

Does this mean I need to order a new shell, or can I heat the body up and tweak it back? Or will it forever be off balance with that method?

And I guess a bigger battery door from shapeways is needed too.

I think I might be able to take credit for being one of the first members here to have dented a shell (Feb 2013).
I hit a tree and landed on pavement. denting an arm .prop was hitting the shell,.etc

In my case, (and most cases), the only way to do it right is to order a new shell.

but while waiting for the new shel I grew ancy, and figured I'd try to apply heat and bend it back, so at leas the prop wouldn't hit the shell.
it kind of worked, but the craft would fly at an angle... tho I was still able to get my flying fix until the new shell arrived.

Gizmo3000 said:
I think I might be able to take credit for being one of the first members here to have dented a shell (Feb 2013).
I hit a tree and landed on pavement. denting an arm .prop was hitting the shell,.etc

In my case, (and most cases), the only way to do it right is to order a new shell.

but while waiting for the new shel I grew ancy, and figured I'd try to apply heat and bend it back, so at leas the prop wouldn't hit the shell.
it kind of worked, but the craft would fly at an angle... tho I was still able to get my flying fix until the new shell arrived.

Thanks Gizmo3000.

I was flying from the top of a hill, and the Phantom was to my left, out past the edge of the hill, so while it was only about 40 ft above my level, it was about 80-100 ft above the ground. It was just so surreal to see that little black speck fall off the distant quadcopter and realize it was the battery just as they both dropped like rocks and then disappeared below the edge of the hill!

How challenging is it to move the innards from one shell to another? I've no experience with this type of thing. Is it something a noob can do, or should I ask one of my local RC Hobby shop guys to do it?

GoodnNuff said:
Gizmo3000 said:

Thanks Gizmo3000.

I was flying from the top of a hill, and the Phantom was to my left, out past the edge of the hill, so while it was only about 40 ft above my level, it was about 80-100 ft above the ground. It was just so surreal to see that little black speck fall off the distant quadcopter and realize it was the battery just as they both dropped like rocks and then disappeared below the edge of the hill!

How challenging is it to move the innards from one shell to another? I've no experience with this type of thing. Is it something a noob can do, or should I ask one of my local RC Hobby shop guys to do it?

I can only imagine how traumatic it was.

The battery door on the Phantom is one of those things that could have been designed a bit better. it's as if they designed it solely around the 2200mah battery that they provide, and that's it.

I have a few bigger batteries with larger cables, but the key is to tug on the battery door once it's closed to ensure it's fully closed.

swapping out the innards to another shell is actually not too difficult at all just requires taking notes (and photos) to ensure you put things back together. But it should only take you about an hour and a half tops.
you merely unscrew the 16 bolts holding the phantom together, unscrew the motors, unscrew the ESCs's and unscrew some of the other stuff inside.. no soldering necessary.

I would still take the top shell off and inspect the electronics, specifically the Naza, if that comes loose your chances of a flyaway greatly increases, not to mention erratic movements. Personally if the shell isn't cracked, I'd use a heat gun and massage it back in place. Read someone else was able to pop most if his shell back into place after taking it apart.

Just maybe transfer all your electronics to a F-450 frame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5rjDVgJAVQ

BruceTS said:
I would still take the top shell off and inspect the electronics, specifically the Naza, if that comes loose your chances of a flyaway greatly increases, not to mention erratic movements. Personally if the shell isn't cracked, I'd use a heat gun and massage it back in place. Read someone else was able to pop most if his shell back into place after taking it apart.

Just maybe transfer all your electronics to a F-450 frame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5rjDVgJAVQ

Yes! That is the frame I need! :)

But I ordered a new Phantom shell today, and picked up some racing orange and gun metal spray paint to make the thing more visible in our grey Pacific Northwest skies. I'll get the case painted before I move the electronics over. And I ordered the bigger battery door replacement.

Please let us know if the new paint job makes orientation easier at a distance. By the way, after crashing my Phantom into a very tall fir tree (and windmilling through the branches to the ground), the hinge broke on the battery door. I took a hint from another forum member and now have a strip of strong Velcro as a safety catch from the battery door to the shell. Very quick, easy, and secure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20