Proof DJI is lying to customers about H3-3D faults

mtpisgah said:
ianwood said:
mtpisgah said:
******************** Mod edit: offensive comments removed.

Comments like this have no business on this forum. I am not a mod, but if I see you post anything like this again, I will nominate you for an immediate ban!

its a Freedom of Speech Clause - 1st Amendment...you did study that during your high school, right ?

Apparently you didn't study it in High School. Or, if you did study it you did not/do not understand it.

"Most spaces on the internet are privately owned, and have no obligation to allow you to speak freely in their space."

Here's where you can educate yourself:

http://lifehacker.com/5953755/what-exac ... e-internet

seeing how DJI has its customers do its product testing id say no one lied to you. its simply that no one knows **** about these yet. plain and simple. and we are the guinea pigs relaying the information...

mine twitches the same way when in warming up. the clicks at the beginning are the exact same also. however i solved the "drift" issue by simply adding spacers between the mounting plate and phantom body. allowing clearance of the yaw axis motor to freely spin and not rub on the battery. :shock:

Kelso Kubat said:
mine twitches the same way when in warming up. the clicks at the beginning are the exact same also. however i solved the "drift" issue by simply adding spacers between the mounting plate and phantom body. allowing clearance of the yaw axis motor to freely spin and not rub on the battery. :shock:

However, there do seem to be a couple of different things going on here. Adding clearance on the battery definitely prevented the gimbal from yawing around, but the effect of orientation on the gimbal behavior at startup is very clear, at least on my system. Have you checked yours for that effect?

Captain Salty said:
So DJI says it is normal & B&H photography say it's not normal and to return it to them for a new unit.

did you resolve this problem? just checking if my response are good or deleted/ban ?

I have a new v1.1 standalone H3-3D which does the same random snaps as the phototrekky video (mostly to right on mine) randomly while in the air. Switched from my faithful H3-2D since I was asked to shoot some aerials for an indie movie; wanted to up the quality with 3rd axis stab. We had to get the whole cast and crew back another day for a re-shoot because of the twitches ruining everything. Unless I can find a fix, it's back to the 2D and the 3D is for sale.

I have the anti-interference board installed. Tried it with and without with same problem. I don't care how much it twitches at startup, but I want it out of it's system once airborne and filming.
Jim

New firmware for the main board of the P2 a couple of days ago fixed all this funky behavior for me. Mine just does one small twitch after the initialization. I can live with that.

Before updating, I was facing the phantom to magnetic north for start up. This also cured it for me.

Kelso Kubat said:
seeing how DJI has its customers do its product testing id say no one lied to you. its simply that no one knows **** about these yet. plain and simple. and we are the guinea pigs relaying the information...

Of course they were lying! They claimed that twitching and drifting to be 100% normal - clearly it was not as not all users were experiencing it. It wasn't intended behavior and DJI had told some dealers that it was a fault and they were going to fix it via firmware update - but yet they tell the customer it is normal?

Mine was/is spaced off the body, so that's not what was causing the drift for me.

Is anyone's gimbal problem similar to the yaw/twitch problem I am experiencing with my brand new P2 + H3-3D?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecw1Ad-CYqg[/youtube]

The P2 came with v3.0 firmware, and Assistant upgraded (without asking for my consent) to the latest gimbal firmware. I have put thin rubber washers between the gimbal base plate and P2, and between the [longer] screw heads and the base plate. Not much improvement in the twitch. The tendency is most likely when flying forward at 10 degrees pitch or more, and descending at 1m/sec or more. I have the PolarPro ND filter on, balanced on the motor side, plus iOSD Mini, IRC 600mW VTx, and extended SpiroNet antenna. If I fly slow and level, twitching absent, but what fun is that??

My next experiments will be "upgrading" to v3.04 firmware, and increasing use of rubber washers to move gimbal further from battery.

Appreciate any guidance from those that have been here, solved that.

Kelly

Kelly,

Have you tried the softer dampers? (The Black ones). A lot of problems with 3 axis gimbals are caused by two much vibration getting through the the gimbal IMU's/Gyros which can cause I2C errors and play havoc with the communication bus lines.

Try the softer dampers..... you might be surprised !

Editor,

I have not tried the black ones since the early days of my first H3-3D. I have only tried the white ones, for many weeks now since I read the exhaustive thread on RC Groups on the H3-3D jello issues. Will try softer black ones tomorrow. Would you try that before or after trying v3.04 firmware and/or greater spacing between base plate and P2?

What is I2C?

Kelly

The latest P2 central board (not controller) firmware update fixed all my H3-3D issues. The only time I notice that my gimbal twitches is if it is not completely free to run the initialisation moves.

markab said:
The latest P2 central board (not controller) firmware update fixed all my H3-3D issues. The only time I notice that my gimbal twitches is if it is not completely free to run the initialisation moves.

Yep ^^^^^ What he said.

If you are going to try out the black dampners - may I recommend this "mod". It is working perfectly for me and costs next to nothing.

4x ear plugs and some fishing line.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 782
wkf94025 said:
Editor,

I have not tried the black ones since the early days of my first H3-3D. I have only tried the white ones, for many weeks now since I read the exhaustive thread on RC Groups on the H3-3D jello issues. Will try softer black ones tomorrow. Would you try that before or after trying v3.04 firmware and/or greater spacing between base plate and P2?

What is I2C?

Kelly

Your snap issue is not being caused by firmware in my opinion, it is being cause by the H3-3D going ino hibernation mode momentarily due to it working outside of it's parameters. Vibration cause a LOT of issues with 3 axis gimbals (as people are finding out!) - They are much more delicate and more unforgiving of vibration and balance issues.

If it was me, I would try and eliminate and tune out as much vibration as possible. This may mean trying the black dampers and then popping in a piece of sponge into the dampers one by one to 'tune' the gimbal and minimise that resonant frequency that is causing problems.

I had the self same issue on my H3-3D using the white dampers but spotted it straight away and then spent time tuning out the vibrations. I have since flown in calm and very windy conditions both slowly and at full throttle in all orientations and can happily say no more gimbal hibernation :D

good luck

Editor,

Just flew 3 batteries after updating to 3.04 Phantom firmware (from 3.0) and 1.06 gimbal firmware (from 1.04), and taking default gains from the 3.04 firmware. First battery was with PolarPro ND filter and counterbalance on the GoPro. Second and third battery were without ND filter and counterbalance. Bottom line is that firmware change made a big difference in the sleep/snap behavior. I still experienced it a few times when descending in a fast tight corkscrew descent, but I don't plan to film in that mode, so I am checking this issue off the list. I suspect moving the gimbal base plate another washer or two away from the Phantom will further reduce the rare instance of sleep/snap.

There wasn't a material difference in gimbal behavior between with/without ND filter and counter-balance. Well behaved on all three flights. FWIW, I also powered up with P2 facing North, and threw ground newt's toes over my left should at power up to appease the gimbal gods. Doubt that affected the experiments.

Without the ND filter, as I expected, I have a healthy dose of jello. Are you running without ND filter? In my copious spare time (not) I will try to get closer to jello free by trying different gimbal bumpers, rubber washers, ear plugs, ground newt's toes, etc. But if the bottom line is that ND filter is needed to eliminate jello, and there aren't any other downsides, I can live with that.

The only bummer this morning was that GPS went out twice. Zero sats, zero horizontal speed, and ATTI mode only. But that problem is OT here.

Kelly

Glad the firmware update appears to have sorted things out.
They may have tweaked the hibernation threshold in the latest firmware to prevent it happening too often.

I would still have a play and tweak things to get as vibration free setup as you can get.

No, I do not use an ND filter but then I'm not flying the H3-3D on any sort of Phantom..... It's on a 700mm Carbon fiber Hexacopter running 6 T-Motor MN3508-20 580's swinging T-Motor 12x4 CF props. :D

I fly with a H3-3D too and confirm that that is normal. I did have one flight where I did fly further than usual and it twitched in the air. But other than that one flight all seems well.

The Editor said:
Glad the firmware update appears to have sorted things out.
They may have tweaked the hibernation threshold in the latest firmware to prevent it happening too often.

I would still have a play and tweak things to get as vibration free setup as you can get.

No, I do not use an ND filter but then I'm not flying the H3-3D on any sort of Phantom..... It's on a 700mm Carbon fiber Hexacopter running 6 T-Motor MN3508-20 580's swinging T-Motor 12x4 CF props. :D

So your harmonics are likely a bit different than us po' folk on the beginner quads. ;-)

lucid111 said:
I fly with a H3-3D too and confirm that that is normal. I did have one flight where I did fly further than usual and it twitched in the air. But other than that one flight all seems well.

Normal? What do you mean it's normal?!!? It's anything but! Normal is perfect operation.

have same issue
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Aj6nFS01hkw[/youtube]
http://youtu.be/Aj6nFS01hkw
camera always goes left in every case) but if you fly backwards it goes right!
what it means? it means that DJI used very weak 3rd axis motor and it get overloaded with simple airflow.

try this mod(cant attach picture here), just put some cardboard with tape to your gopro camera to even the air resistance, you can play with cardboard size, or build shell around camera to decrease airflow.

Hope it will help in your case

This whole forum is grossly exaggerating the problem. One gets twitches if you fly at top speed, in high wind, swinging left and right etc. For leisurely scenic videography, I've tested the H3-3D on three different P2's and in winds up to 20kph and can attest that the H3-3D works fine. Don't expect steady video if you are descending vertically.

For most average flyers, and I count myself amongst that number, the platform is fine. Frankly its a darn marvel that for around $1300 one can achieve results that would require professional gear and chopper time costing far in excess of this just a few years ago.

MenaceCat said:
This whole forum is grossly exaggerating the problem. One gets twitches if you fly at top speed, in high wind, swinging left and right etc. For leisurely scenic videography, I've tested the H3-3D on three different P2's and in winds up to 20kph and can attest that the H3-3D works fine. Don't expect steady video if you are descending vertically.

For most average flyers, and I count myself amongst that number, the platform is fine. Frankly its a darn marvel that for around $1300 one can achieve results that would require professional gear and chopper time costing far in excess of this just a few years ago.

exaggerating ??? gimbal glitches when flying forward just at 7ms, is it normal? i had h32d before and i was happy with it.
if i pay 3-5 times more than cheap ebay gimbal i expect it to work.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl