Projection guide similar to a car's back up camera

Reaction score
I park my car with ease, thanks to the back up camera's projection guide. So it got me thinking... why can't DJI implement something similar.

You are probably thinking, but the camera mode comes with grid lines. True... but it's not predictive of the size of the phantom. Imagine actually seeing the width of your phantom projected into a gap/space before flying through it. I refuse to cage my bird with prop guards, so I've had my horrific moments. This tech will definitely save a couple wings.

I wonder if this is something they can incorporate into the Dji Go app. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1463946582753.jpg
    1463946582753.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
Pardon my French but that's fludging genus! Get it done DJI!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think it would work.
I have the guide lines on my car and it works great for reversing at 2mph. It wouldn't work quite so well at 30mph.

Reactions: Lefty63
I think it would be easier than trying to judge the distance and trajectory by yourself or with goggles. I would love that feature. Great idea.

How do we convey an idea like this to DJI?
I wonder if its as simple as leaving a comment in the app review
I gotta get high more often lol. Who knows, the next one might be a million dollar idea.

I believe range is required to negotiate trees. I think there would be an issue getting range to an object like a tree branch. All you have to work with is a camera image. It's impossible to get range from an image that contains an unknown branch size.

Maybe the 4K camera can provide focus settings to get range. But, as already stated, the drone is flying pretty fast.

I think it should be fairly simple to incorporate an on screen guide to help us gauge space between obstacles.
It can be as simple as two green lateral lines, projecting the width of the phantom to approx 5 to 10 meters ahead. So regardless of speed, you get an idea of the space ahead of you.
I think such an addon would definnitely make fpv flying that much more fun.

Reactions: NRJ
I bet if we mentioned this to Litchi on their Facebook page they would get it done. They are quick to implement changes quickly if they make sense.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think it would work.
I have the guide lines on my car and it works great for reversing at 2mph. It wouldn't work quite so well at 30mph.
Your car camera is locked and static with an OSD overlay and assumes that you are always parallel to the flat ground. The camera on DJI Phantoms are not - they tilt up and down. If you lock the camera at a fwd position, then this may work. But if the camera tilts up and down, then the overlay needs to dynamic enough to understand the camera angle.

If you suggested this to DJI, they would tell you crash your phantom and buy a P4.

I park my car with ease, thanks to the back up camera's projection guide. So it got me thinking... why can't DJI implement something similar.

You are probably thinking, but the camera mode comes with grid lines. True... but it's not predictive of the size of the phantom. Imagine actually seeing the width of your phantom projected into a gap/space before flying through it. I refuse to cage my bird with prop guards, so I've had my horrific moments. This tech will definitely save a couple wings.

I wonder if this is something they can incorporate into the Dji Go app. What do you think?
Since it is a fixed lens and projection is always the same, I cant see how this is useful.

I treat my local park like an obstacle course. The more fpv flight i put in, the more oriented i get with spacing... still i find myself slowing down through gaps and turns due the camera's blindspots.
The way people treat this on-screen video overlay aid is akin to how the community reacted to gps and sonar- not necessary. I agree, but it is a nice feature to wish for :)

This only works in the car because the camera is fixed relative to the ground plane...this is true for neither the camera nor the objects you're seeing in it on an airborne phantom, so your lines would be meaningless.

You could try to have some image analysis figuring all that out, but you pretty much wind up with the P4 avoidance system.

Reactions: mikesmiley
This only works in the car because the camera is fixed relative to the ground plane...this is true for neither the camera nor the objects you're seeing in it on an airborne phantom, so your lines would be meaningless.

You could try to have some image analysis figuring all that out, but you pretty much wind up with the P4 avoidance system.
You can certainly do this. You can certainly not do this with the level of sensors or computational ability on a P3 or P4. As has been pointed out, UAVs are not fixed in space or distance. This makes it much harder to figure out how big something is and how far away - two rather important bits of information you need not to crash into it. You could put stereoscopic cameras, a laser range finder, a LIDAR range finder and a nice fancy computer attached to a nice heavy battery and get all this to work.

You aren't going to sell this at any reasonable price.

Now, fast forward a number of years. The underlying hardware to do this is found in every car on the road. The back end chips are now made in quantities of a million and are much cheaper and more featured. Same with the sensors. DJI engineers have a whole new playing field. Maybe then the Phantom 8 will do what you want.

Until then, just crash into trees now and again. It's going to be a hell of lot cheaper than buying the quad of your dreams.

** And please DJI, put an X-band radar altimeter on the P5. That you can do pretty much tomorrow. Easy peasy. Barometers are so 20th century.

All I got from this thread was nonsense.

Property damage is eh - everywhere you fly treat it like an obstacle course. Not an image a responsible RC operator would present.

I like the idea but it just further encourages pushing your drone closer to objects or situations that may cause property damage or harm to others.

Just fly safe and know your limits. Trying to squeeze in tighter spaces because you lack the ability to properly fly is just... discouraging

If it helped with range, say a tree is 100 feet away and 20 feet below me based in a grid, I could see that being helpful. But if ya wanna fly through obstacles, not sure the phantom is the right copter for that. I think of it as a flying camera, not for an obstacle course and tricks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1