PROJECT Phantom6

**** good eye IIVII.

The GPS is non-directional (except that the antenna needs to face the satellites).

The compass, though, is very directional. It's proper orientation is critical.

Reactions: IflyinWY
The GPS is non-directional (except that the antenna needs to face the satellites).

The compass, though, is very directional. It's proper orientation is critical.

Thanks for that post CityZen.

Not to go off topic, so simply a name will work. What's the name of the critter in your Avatar.

**** IIVII that was a good find. I'd put money on it that fixes the problem or at least helps it alot. I would never have seen that.

Interesting choice for a avatar pic if that's not ur hampster. Cute little thing tho

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

The only way I can fly it is in atti mode. GPS just drifts one way or another. I don't recall the compass being on the right rear leg, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'll make the change, and test fly as soon as the rain quits again. Thanks for the input.

DJI Phantom 1.1.1 currently under construction to become a Phantom hex.
Snohomish co. WA

Right rear it is Macdoogal. Now git out there and do an Unrain dance.

When the Phantom was a quad, I had my friend, (the one with the 3D printer) make me some wider, taller legs. Somehow I may have moved the compass to the front left leg. It's been flying funny for quite some time. The RR leg of the hex doesn't allow me to mount the compass parallel to the GPS unit and the Naza, so I've added a little "boom" to get the orientation right.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430265635.124693.jpg

Do you think that'll work?

Snohomish co. WA

Hey IflyinWY, can you please demonstrate that dance in a video for us? [emoji6]

Snohomish co. WA

I think I see it center frame. Looks good to me. Wait for someone smarter to chime in though.

Ha! That's funny!

Snohomish co. WA

it looks good , but if u can move it out a little further it will be better to eliminate any interference with the battery and the rest of the electronics .. don't forget to do the compass calibration (dance) before flying .

img_20141206_202834-jpg.16487

Last edited:
So the weather was pretty good for test flights today. I did the compass dance, and fired it up. It seem to fly well initially, but if you make a yaw turn (rotate) it seems to destabilize it. I think you can see it in the video.

Snohomish co. WA

With all the junk stuck on my hex, and the glitchy compass situation, I'm thinking of getting one of those combined GPS compass units, but the DJI one is, per usual, expensive. What are your opinions on this. It'll get the compass away from the battery...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251901641119

Snohomish co. WA

watch these 2 clips before buying anything .. all it needs is a little calibration :)

Resetting the Compass:

Calibrating the IMU

as for the yaw destabilize .. have ya played with the gains ? try to increase/decrease the gains alittle and see if that helps .. also if you have a different set of props give them a try .. i remember i had the same problem on one of my X frames and it turned out to be the props .. they were 9443 knock offs and were deflected from the factory .

Last edited:
one last thing .. i noticed the GPS has no shield underneath of it .. to help with the interference and get a better sats lock reuse the old grey shield that comes with the phantom's upper shell .

Macdoogal, I hope you are listening (reading) intently to what IIVII is saying.
I've said it before, I think, where are the freaking power lines? They are underground. You are hosed. Drive a few minutes away from town with your bird and a laptop. You folks have lots of conductive moisture in the ground and all of you suck tons of electricity. IMU INTERFERENCE...

Do an Advanced IMU calibration, do the compass dance and take video to show us. Shielding is very important too. Do the homework and show us your paper.

:D:D
**** it man, make it work so I can duplicate it. PLEASE.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl