PROJECT Phantom6

You can change the LED color by moving one surface mount resistor on the ESC. It's next to the "A" motor pad. Presumably, you can make it light up yellow by installing another resistor.
Do you know what type of resistor is required?

Macdoogal,
I'm on the edge of my seat here... Wassup?

I want a Super FC40 too.

Well, I got the thing all assembled and the motors run in right direction, but once it's off the ground, it drifts forward and is difficult to maneuver. I calibrated the compass, and the transmitter, to no avail. I'm not sure what else to do. It flies, but not well. Any ideas?

DJI Phantom 1.1.1 currently under construction to become a Phantom hex.
Snohomish co. WA

Well, I got the thing all assembled and the motors run in right direction, but once it's off the ground, it drifts forward and is difficult to maneuver. I calibrated the compass, and the transmitter, to no avail. I'm not sure what else to do. It flies, but not well. Any ideas?
Snohomish co. WA

u'll be amazed of how stable the F550 is compared to P1, but u r not gonna like the flight time. and that was the main reason i switched to the Alien X frame.

here's some old pix of my FC40 / F550 conversion :)

btw. can ya take couple pix of your f550 ready to fly .. i wanna see how ya mounted the GPS & compass i might be able to help ..

IMG_20141101_163633.JPG
IMG_20141101_163644.JPG

Last edited:
Is the compass aligned the same way it was on the Phantom?
Did you do an IMU calibration?

I made sure to position the compass the same as it was on the P1. I also moved the GPS module to the center, like it was on the P1. I'm currently trying to get it to fly again, but I seem to have lost my binding to the transmitter. How do I re bind it?

Snohomish co. WA

Here's a pic I took today. I thought the battery life would be shorter, but that's part of the reason I'm doing this. I hope to be able to put a pair of 2800 mAh batteries on it which should give me slightly better flight time and the better stability of the 550 frame. The frame I got is one off of eBay. It appears to be made for the Naza set up. What's an IMU calibration?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429583378.258442.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429583386.809187.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429583405.240565.jpg

Snohomish co. WA

Have you set the vehicle's configuration correctly in the NAZA software? You have to make sure it's set as a Hexacopter for it to work properly.

I adjusted the position of things on the craft, and flew in atti, and it flies better. It's still drifts in GPS mode. But not as bad as before. The configuration is set to hex X and I had previously never noticed the IMU calibration button in the software. It said I didn't need a calibration but I did one anyway. After crashing the thing again, I have to wait a few day for some new props. I'll do another test flight and keep you posted.

Snohomish co. WA

Hey Macdoogal,
Sorry to hear you need new props. Take a look at some of the help I have put together about the IMU and Compass. Maybe things will work out better next time. There's a link in my signature. ;)

So I resurrected some old props from my phantom junk yard and test flew it again. It's still drifts in GPS mode, but it's getting better. I spent some time this afternoon balancing it too. I didn't notice much difference from that.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429748808.996638.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429748820.905599.jpg

Snohomish co. WA

I don't see any power lines in the air. Are they buried?
Take a quick look at this video. I was calibrating my compass right over buried power lines.
Is this what your bird is doing?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Not really, mine drifts in one direction. That's weird, it's like it's possessed. Our power lines are buried here, but I never had a problem when it was a quad. I did the advanced IMU calibration, and will try another test flight tomorrow. Thanks for sharing that video.

Snohomish co. WA

No test flights today. Rain in western Washington, go figure...

Snohomish co. WA

Still squirrelly. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Snohomish co. WA

How about some video so we know what squirrelly is?

i just noticed in one of your pix that u have the compass installed on the wrong leg .. the compass should be on the right rear leg when looking at the drone from the back ..

now if the compass is installed on the right rear leg in this pic .. then u have ur GPS installed facing backwards , cuz the GPS colored wires should be facing the front of the drone.

btw. make sure u have the compass installed vertically and in-parallel with Naza .

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429583386.809187.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers