Project MotorPixie - Open Source 3-axis gimbal for P2V

Reaction score
Can it be made? A 3-axis gimbal for the DJI Phantom 2 Vision, that weighs little more than other 2-axis gimbals?!? (If they are current version RotorPixel, that is... ;-)

I am going to make this project truly Open Source. Any one can download the source files and make their own versions of the MotorPixie 3D gimbal. When am I going to do it? Are you going to have to wait month on end with the constant assurance, soon... any day now... Had some technical issues... sooooooon? No it's here. Right here, right now.
MotorPixie_3D_mrk_I_preview_featured.jpg

Yes, 3D renderings are forgiving...

It can be build, adds 263 grams to your stock P2V:
(Calibrating your BaseCam software will drive you mad, however...)
foto__5__preview_featured.jpg

I won't be working on the 3D gimbal for the simple reason, that I don't need it. There is nowhere cinematic I can legally fly where I live, so I'm switching to fixed wing, the Bixler 2 is in the mail, along with the FrSky Taranis and CHEAP LiPos!

Find STLs as well as the project files here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:391130

Very nice, excellent work. Can I take my board and 2 motors from my taco supreme and just add a third motor? I've not got much experience with gimbals but I'm pretty handy with similar stuff.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Very nice, excellent work. Can I take my board and 2 motors from my taco supreme and just add a third motor? I've not got much experience with gimbals but I'm pretty handy with similar stuff.

No, you will need the Turnigy 32.2 grams motors for it to balance. Also your taco supreme does not have a YAW motor outlet. You need a dedicated 3-axis controller board, or a BaseCam with 3rd axis extension board. You could redesign it to fit your motors, but they are only €10.48, so not much sense in taking apart your taco gimbal for the motors :)

The sweet thing is, you can take the pitch and roll motors, BaseCam board, arm, FC200 enclosure and screws form your existing MotorPixie 2D gimbal and recycle them ;-)

Ok cool, im very happy with my setup but I'm considering either selling my p2v with gimbal and upgrading to the p2v+ or holding off with what I have and waiting for the p3 and keeping what I have. Although if dronexpert got their finger outta their *$&# with the quick release id stick with getting the p2v+ and add the h3 3d and gopro. Hmmm decisions decisions.......

This topic was previously locked due to a very easily made and simple mistake. It appeared that there were two topics that were exactly alike, when in fact... One was for a 2-axis gimbal and the other was for a 3-axis gimbal... :shock:

Anyhow...

Now... back to our regularly scheduled program... :D

Sorry for the confusion and temporary lockage... :oops:

Cool project. Thanks.
So starting from scratch, I need..
1. To print these parts.
2. Basecam SimpleBGC board
3. Turnigy 32.2g. Motors. What model number?

Is that all?

robby666111 said:
Cool project. Thanks.
So starting from scratch, I need..
1. To print these parts.
2. Basecam SimpleBGC board
3. Turnigy 32.2g. Motors. What model number?

Is that all?

From the thingiverse instructions tab:
Instructions

To complete this build, you will also need:
Leg extensions: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:337486
1x BaseCam 2 axis controller board with IMU
1x BaseCam YAW axis extension board
2x Turnigy 2206-140Kv gimbal motors
1x Turnigy 2804-210Kv gimbal motor
12x M3x8 hex screws
12x M2x6 hex screws
12x M2 (4.8x0.3mm) washers
6x M3x20 nylon screws
1x M3x16 screw
1x M3 nut
1x 3.5mm female 4 pole jack
1x 3.5mm male 4 pole jack with wires (90 degree angle)
1x 50mm 1 pin wire (pitch control)
6x dampeners
Mad soldering skills
FC200 specific:
1x M3x16 screw
1x M3 nut
GoPro Hero 3(+) specific:
2x M3x16 screw
2x M3 nut
Plastic tubing to protect exposed FC200 jack

I get the Turnigy motors from Hobbyking.com, but just the specs need to be similar. You could go full out, and get the 32 bit native 3 axis controller board, but this is where it gets really expensive.

Parts ordered, and 3D printer files downloaded. Will start printing over the weekend and let you know how I get on! Wish me luck!

One question, for tuning the system, is it possible to lock the YAW control, and just have essentially 2-axis'? I'll probably leave adding the yaw control for a later date, as don't really need it initially.

Cheers,
Rob.

robby666111 said:
Parts ordered, and 3D printer files downloaded. Will start printing over the weekend and let you know how I get on! Wish me luck!

One question, for tuning the system, is it possible to lock the YAW control, and just have essentially 2-axis'? I'll probably leave adding the yaw control for a later date, as don't really need it initially.

Cheers,
Rob.

I'm right now working on alligning the 2D and the 3D versions. The 2D version does not require leg extensions, so I would start with the 2D version, and recycle the parts for the 3D version at a later date. I need about a week of testing, before I can release the revised 2D version, but it will still use the original Turnigy motors and BaseCam style controller etc.

After playing around with the 3D version for some time, and not really getting the results in extreme angles I hoped for, I was about to give up. Looking for solutions I came across a professional youtube video explaining the wonders of the new 32 bit version of the AlexMos (Basecam electronics) 3D controller. Until now I have been using the 8 bit basecam controller with 3rd axis add-on board.

In short: The 8 bit basecam controller does not support the extreme angles one would need to use it on a quadcopter. The 32 bit version should be able to do so. Am I going to test this? No. The cheapest non-3D, certified basecam controller is $80 (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...Controller_2_Axis_Kit_Basecam_SimpleBGC_.html) which comes with non-standard connectors. Keep in mind, the hardware is not licensed, it is the basecam bootloader (which basecam electronics has stopped supporting, no new versions since 2.40b7) that is licensed. In comparison the equivalent Chinese knock-off is $24 http://www.ebay.com/itm/301197883254?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 that comes with standard connectors. Am I going to pay 300% extra for a bootloader that is no longer supported? No, not again. Am I going to pay $200 for the 32 bit version that supports 3D natively (maybe?) but does not yet come in the "tiny" http://www.basecamelectronics.com/simplebgc32tiny/ version I want for my projects? I am all for "intellectual property" and having to make money to do R&D, but I am not (again) going to pay excessive amounts of money to be able to create another version of my gimbal, only to force others to do the same in order to build one.

I might look into the BruGi project http://sourceforge.net/projects/brushless-gimbal-brugi, and how to use this open source bootloader on the cheap Chinese hardware. I might even donate some money in order to support it.

I short: I am not going to do any more development on the 3D version in the near future. Buy a ready made 3D gimbal if you want one.

(Rant over)

... Just spent a long month to finish 3-Axis gimbal for Vision
Basically, It was fun and incredible smooth for VDO. output. Great Experience.

I still need to do more flying test and check with the video result.
I found a bit Jello but it is still need to adjust.
The different from the original are
1) I use Mini BGC AlexMos 3-Axis 32-bit Brushless Gimbal Controller
like in this picture (I brought from my local)
http://www.drotek.fr/shop/en/home/461-m ... oller.html
2) I jump power directly to Phantom circuit.
The flight length is not much reduced for time duration.

I made mistake for motors - Yaw and Pitch and replaced. Be careful do not over-tight for motor screw.

Well Finally, It is good to learn if you love DIY. gimbal
Anyone has been done and finished, please share your knowledge for my adjustment.

Attachments

• IMG_1609 (Mobile).JPG
    IMG_1609 (Mobile).JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 492
Thanks to your original phototype / Terje
One thing, when I printed those gimbal parts and I made parts together, I found it is difficult to balance FC 200 camera.
So, I put a small flat lead underneath camera for balancing. And I still need more longer leg extender than I expect.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik