Project MotorPixie - Open Source 2-axis gimbal for P2V

robby666111 said:
What CAD package did you use? f3d file?

I use Autocad Fusion 360 (free to use for non profit use, under the enthusiast license). Works on PC and Mac.

Wow, a free (enthusiast) parametric 3D, and from Autodesk as well!!..
I have been using one of my clients Solidworks license, but that won't last forever.
Will have to try it.

robby666111 said:
Wow, a free (enthusiast) parametric 3D, and from Autodesk as well!!..
I have been using one of my clients Solidworks license, but that won't last forever.
Will have to try it.

Please feel free to ask any question about the build. I would like to make a "howto" on the gimbals in my upcoming vacation, and like to know which specific parts of the build are most cumbersome :)

Wow, awesome documentation. Thanks.
One question. For the baseplate you state " Print without support to be able to use ziptie hole in
back of arm.". Given the angle of the arm, and the overlapping motor recess, I would have though it would need support?
From my experience I would print this base down building up to the motor recess (upside down). Do you concur?

Cheers
Rob.

robby666111 said:
Wow, awesome documentation. Thanks.
One question. For the baseplate you state " Print without support to be able to use ziptie hole in
back of arm.". Given the angle of the arm, and the overlapping motor recess, I would have though it would need support?
From my experience I would print this base down building up to the motor recess (upside down). Do you concur?

Cheers
Rob.

The angle of the arm and motor recess is carefully calculated not to need support :) Actually only the Goodluckbuy version needs support, as the motor gondola sticks out to much. Otherwise, as long as you stay within 45 degrees, you are home free :) But feel free to try both with and without support. I have experienced trouble with adhesion when using cheap filament, but solved it by using both hair spray (let it dry, use hair dryer) and glue stick (let it dry, use hair dryer) on a mirror lightly sanded (220) on top of the headed print bed :)

I'm looking to bring the price of the gimbal down. The one component that is most expensive, is the BaseCam board. There are of course cheap knock-offs, but I'm not too keen on that (keep the project clean). The Open source Martinez board v3 is way cheaper and will fit the existing gimbal layout perfectly. Does anybody have experience with the Martinez board?

I think I might try and make it with this motor

MonsieurAnon said:
I think I might try and make it with this motor

You might want to have a look at the source code for the MotorPixie 3D version. It uses that motor for the YAW axis. You might experience, that the roll arm becomes flexible, as the arms thickness is determined by the length of the motor. But the motor DOES look like the other brand :)

Hi,
I think I am doing something wrong with the BaseCam case. The cut outs seem to be in the wrong place with respect to the connectors on the the PCB.
I assume the electronics is supposed to me mounted with the components "inside" the case.
Picture say a 100 words. See attached.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 473
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 439
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 503
Hi Robby, thank you so much for your feedback. You actually need to resolder the pins and make them point inwards, in order to make them fit within the controller case. It is designed this way to minimize the potential damage in a crash.

I have updated the "manual" with your valuable feedback, and am uploading it to my site and thingiverse right now :)

Damage could happen when you do this frequently:
http://youtu.be/iZkb1475Scg

Attachments

• controller print.jpg
    controller print.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 517
  • controller installation.jpg
    controller installation.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 531
I have added the revised manual along with a modified controller case that makes it possible to print it without support, to Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:397579 The FC200 enclosure has been updated to make it easier to print, and make the part that holds the nut stronger (added 1gram)

The finished "production" model, that can be found at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:397579

Weight: 180g. Makes the Phantom 2 Vision 1314g RTF. If using a open source controller board instead of the BaseCam, it should be possible to build the gimbal for under $100. (Not including the initial cost of a 3D printer :)

_DSC0153%20%281%29.jpg

Thanks for the reply an updates. Awesome support!
I have already desoldered the connectors to make it fit. I will wire directly to the board so no issue.
Running into a bit of trouble with my printer. For some reason the holes a not printing round anymore. I think a calibration is in order. I'm quite new to the whole 3D printing so learning lots as I go through this project.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers!
Rob.

I have a xyz printing davinci 1.0. It's a very basic model but the results are fine for hobbyist use.
I see they have a manual on belt adjustment. I'll give that a go.
Cheers
Rob.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic