Project MotorPixie - Open Source 2-axis gimbal for P2V

I wish I had know about this before I got my taco. Cool project. But as far as I know the controller with the gimbal is the same. Is that right anyone know?

I haven't been able to get a simple question out of my head. Why do we even need an external controller? Does the stock servo used for tilt have a controller or is it controlled by the naza-m? Why can't we connect two new servos directly to the stock phantom? The assistant software has options to change tilt and pitch so it leads me to believe the hardware is already there.

The only thing that makes me think this isn't possible is if the stock servo mounted externally is more than just a servo. It's a controller as well.

Ballad said:
DKDarkness said:
I've just uploaded my first successful test flight with the MotorPixie gimbal: http://youtu.be/5muHu0a9xaI

Nice job, you finally got it to work. How did you power the controllboard? I wonder if the cabel from the camera are thick enough to power both camera and the controllboard.

/Runar
For me it is not enough. Gimbal eat min 300ma. In addition of camera.
Look cables. Bad idea. Good for newbies to not solder. Otherwise you have to take power inside. With fuse.
Every problem you see in thread RotorPixel are concerning motherboard burned. With a 0.3$ fuse no problem. It's electronic basis. But people want fly. Not think or soldering.
But rp fanatics accept everything from their guru. ;-)

teji said:
Ballad said:
DKDarkness said:
I've just uploaded my first successful test flight with the MotorPixie gimbal: http://youtu.be/5muHu0a9xaI

Nice job, you finally got it to work. How did you power the controllboard? I wonder if the cabel from the camera are thick enough to power both camera and the controllboard.

/Runar
For me it is not enough. Gimbal eat min 300ma. In addition of camera.
Look cables. Bad idea. Good for newbies to not solder. Otherwise you have to take power inside. With fuse.
Every problem you see in thread RotorPixel are concerning motherboard burned. With a 0.3$ fuse no problem. It's electronic basis. But people want fly. Not think or soldering.
But rp fanatics accept everything from their guru. ;-)

I am going to soldering my power from the mainboard. How big fuse do you think I need for this?

AllanVB said:
DKDarkness said:
We'll done !!
I want one !
How much did it cost you to build! Ah, just the gimbal and controller?
Thanks
Allan

To be honest, I lost track of the expenses. The 3 main expenseve components are:
2x Turnigy AX-2206 T80 motors (about $15 each)
1x AlexMos SimpleBGC 2-axis controller (should drop in price, now the 32 bit version has been released)

Nuts and bolts, wires and connectors, rubber dampeners ($2), aluminium plate, wire from old iPhone headset etc.

I had to buy some tools and spare parts in the process...

SlackerATX said:
I've read in sever threads from different threads that 1 amp is good. That's what I plan on using.

To make any sense, the fuse would have to be inserted before the first jack connector, meaning splitting the cable coming from the Vision. This adds the possibility of shorting the wire in the process... Catch 22.

DKDarkness said:
SlackerATX said:
I've read in sever threads from different threads that 1 amp is good. That's what I plan on using.

To make any sense, the fuse would have to be inserted before the first jack connector, meaning splitting the cable coming from the Vision. This adds the possibility of shorting the wire in the process... Catch 22.

Thanks, I have the Beholder motors and i can't find any info about the motors. So you mean a fuse before the mainboard? That will be tricky.

Ballad said:
DKDarkness said:
SlackerATX said:

Thanks, I have the Beholder motors and i can't find any info about the motors. So you mean a fuse before the mainboard? That will be tricky.

Not a fuse before the main board. A fuse in the original jack wire coming from the main controller board.

SlackerATX said:
I wish I had know about this before I got my taco. Cool project. But as far as I know the controller with the gimbal is the same. Is that right anyone know?

I haven't been able to get a simple question out of my head. Why do we even need an external controller? Does the stock servo used for tilt have a controller or is it controlled by the naza-m? Why can't we connect two new servos directly to the stock phantom? The assistant software has options to change tilt and pitch so it leads me to believe the hardware is already there.

The only thing that makes me think this isn't possible is if the stock servo mounted externally is more than just a servo. It's a controller as well.

I think i have seen somewere that the power out is only 5v but I can got it wrong. It's easy to find out if you got a multimeter

DKDarkness said:
Not a fuse before the main board. A fuse in the original jack wire coming from the main controller board.

Exactly... As the Rotorpixel problem was in the connector for the jack from the PV - so a fuse after that would not have helped that problem. However, a post connector fuse would stop a controller board fault making the PV drop out the sky......

DKDarkness said:

Okey, I will take my power direcly from the main board and take a fuse between the main board to the controll board

gpauk said:
Exactly... As the Rotorpixel problem was in the connector for the jack from the PV - so a fuse after that would not have helped that problem. However, a post connector fuse would stop a controller board fault making the PV drop out the sky......

All this problem have I missed from RP-gimbal. PV drop out the sky, that's not so fun.

Noël said:
Terje,

Where did you order the Turnigy AX-2206 T80 motors?

Hobbyking.co.uk
They will probably be sent out of China, so expect some time for shipment. And order one Turnigy AX-2804 100T for when you decide to build the 3-axis MotorPixie ;)

Ballad said:
SlackerATX said:
I think i have seen somewere that the power out is only 5v but I can got it wrong. It's easy to find out if you got a multimeter

I checked a few days ago and its like 4.5 volts. But the real question is why would it be enough to power the existing stock servo, but not enough to power a diy servo? Why not connect the the existing connector to the new servo for pitch.

The diy tilt servo might then be connected directly to the phantom. Maybe F1 or F2 right next to where the pitch servo connects to the naza. The existing assistant software has gain control for tilt. Why would the assistant software provide a configureable gain control if the naza didnt have the brains to manage a tilt servo?

Noël said:
Thank you for the link and buddy code!

I've ordered 4 of the motor's!

Don't forget that you will need 2 and 3mm screws to attach the motors to your gimbal. They are not included with the motors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers