Progressive Steps

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the progressive steps a brand spanking new P4/drone flyer would do in order? For example simply taking off and landing would be before a long waypoint flight. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Fancher9-76
Got mine at Christmas and just flew it around, furthest ive been away from me is about 800 feet. Yesterday i tried out the POI for the first time and FB live video sharing. next i will look at waypoints but i'm in no rush.

Take your time you have to learn how to fly with confidence first. I would stay close in VLS and not to close to the ground or any other obstacles, learn all the settings in GO and how to use them. read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, get a good feel for the sticks and try all the flying options, O did I mention to read and fly! Exept for this bunch of pilots the manual is your best friend.

Reactions: antnyp85
youtube is a great way to learn certain functions, i watched a very good one regards POI

What are your thoughts on the progressive steps a brand spanking new P4/drone flyer would do in order? For example simply taking off and landing would be before a long waypoint flight. Thanks!

Many others will come in here and offer up pretty much the same information.

Read the manual.
Understand how RTH works and when it comes into play.
Double check all of your settings to make sure they are where you want them, especially the RTH altitude!

Fly around in an open area until you are pretty comfortable with the machine and can make it go where you want it without too much brain power involved.

Try Sport mode for a bit and when you're comfortable with that, try ATTI on a calm day and in close to you so you can see it clearly. If it looks scary to you, flip the switch back to P mode and settle down.

Small steps, bigger steps and then you as you do this you'll build the confidence to convince yourself that it's not going to fly away by itself and you can control it very well using only the screen.

AD

Take your time you have to learn how to fly with confidence first. I would stay close in VLS and not to close to the ground or any other obstacles, learn all the settings in GO and how to use them. read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, read and fly, get a good feel for the sticks and try all the flying options, O did I mention to read and fly! Exept for this bunch of pilots the manual is your best friend.

VLS?

What everyone else said, read the manual, several times, Watch as many You Tube Videos as you can stomach, etc. For about two weeks I flew at a large soccer field @ 20-50 feet until manual flying became second nature. I then learned fling in a circle in a box etc. I slowly increased Height and distance with each step causing a minor nervous sweat. After a couple of months I actually preferred altitudes of 150-350 since there were no obstacles up there and reception was always good. Then I discovered Litchi....................

I just went through this as I got one for Christmas. The first thing you have to do is go to YouTube and watch EVERY video by Tom's tech time. The guy is really complete. Then read all the documentation twice. DJI's learn to fly videos are good too on their site.

My first day I took it to a field and had it hover for 5 feet off the ground, and just moved around the field.no intelligent flight mode no nothing except just seeing what the sticks would do with very slow moves. Important: pick a day that has less than 5 to 6 mile an hour wind to do this.

Second day I took it up about 100 feet, straight up, and straight down.looked around, then learn to use the editor inside the DJI go app. And then learned the whole procedure to get them to show on my LG living room screen.

The third day I took it straight up 150 feet and went a little bit over the neighborhood and hit the return to home.

All flights after that have been farther and farther away from The home point, but nothing outrageous . Starting to use Litchi and learning to run missions and the cam use/Airial photography.

Go slow , and just keep going back and watching the videos. You're learning a whole new hobby that involves a tremendous amount of confluence of technologies of other hobbies. Read everything " Msinger" posts here.

One other thing, go into every menu possible and find out what each setting does inside the DJI go app or the Litchi app. There are menus, behind menus, that mean things, I did this for hours over a week's time.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlecW and antnyp85
Read ever single word in the go app academy. Watch every video in go app academy. Then your ready , enjoy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31