Programmed autoland

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it possible to get any of the DJI phantoms automatically land on a given gps position ? What is the best machine / firmware to do that ?

My need is :
- i give my drone an accurate position
- it flies to this position, and then
- it automatically lands.

I would like it to use it to periodically record whats happening on a dog garden by following a straight path and autolanding in a given spot / socket / receptacle.

Thank you !

Hi all,

Is it possible to get any of the DJI phantoms automatically land on a given gps position ? What is the best machine / firmware to do that ?

My need is :
- i give my drone an accurate position
- it flies to this position, and then
- it automatically lands.

I would like it to use it to periodically record whats happening on a dog garden by following a straight path and autolanding in a given spot / socket / receptacle.

Thank you !
Well, first, the answer is yes, but you need a little more research to accomplish something like this. It is not for a beginner. Most of the autonomous flight modes available with aftermarket apps like Litchi and Ultimate Flight have a feature to follow a route (mission made of waypoints) and land at the last one and shut off the motors, but not the aircraft. But your research will eventually show you that these endeavors are not bullet accurate and there is some risk of unforseen things going very wrong.

Reactions: jlrsn
So, can basically a Phantom 4 with Litchi autoland in a — let's say — square box 1 meter width inside my garage ?

Thank you !

Maybe once out of 50 tries.
Inside a building is iffy, just getting in there, because the least accurate data the drone has is altitude. Second, the GPS accuracy is in meters, not inches. In using Return To Home and autolanding I have seen mine get within a foot of the recorded takeoff point and other times be 6 to 10 feet away. Remember it is trying to figure where it is based on a bunch of satellites orbiting the earth hundreds of miles away.

Is there any chance to achieve that with any drone on the market (yuneec, dji, etc.) with any firmware or RC available ? I need only one straight path, not even multiple waypoints.

Or is the manual landing really mandatory ?

Thanks !

Is there any chance to achieve that with any drone on the market (yuneec, dji, etc.) with any firmware or RC available ? I need only one straight path, not even multiple waypoints.

Or is the manual landing really mandatory ?

Thanks !

As long as its GPS based, auto landing in a place you have no visuals nor control over, is risky business. At least if there is obstacles, uneven terrain or things like that surrounding your landing spot. The P4 is normally quite accurate (based upon RTH) in my experience, then again, not everyday is a normal day :)

Ok, i found many websites talking about "precision landing", and a so-called "ir-lock" system. But does anybody know if there is any chance to buy a complete quadcopter including this precision landing thing ? Even diy.

Guys, i found many other posts about this thing I want to do… including this one on reddit :

Help with new precision landing feature in Copter 3.4! • /r/diydrones

Do you know who can sell me a drone that is capable of going to a given GPS point (with this Mavlink tool) to look for the IR Lock beacon and land automatically ? Even a DYI quad, as long as it respect these requirements :
- 15 min flight minimum
- 500 gr payload minimum
- 5m/s minimum

In case this transaction happen, it would be made trough Ebay or any respected website of this kind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Guys, i found many other posts about this thing I want to do… including this one on reddit :

Help with new precision landing feature in Copter 3.4! • /r/diydrones

Do you know who can sell me a drone that is capable of going to a given GPS point (with this Mavlink tool) to look for the IR Lock beacon and land automatically ? Even a DYI quad, as long as it respect these requirements :
- 15 min flight minimum
- 500 gr payload minimum
- 5m/s minimum

In case this transaction happen, it would be made trough Ebay or any respected website of this kind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Are you with Al Qaeda or ISIS?

Just kidding buddy. You are hoping for a lot from a product which originated as a recreational toy.

I run the same Litchi mission on a P4 a few times a week. It does vary from time to time.

I think your idea is very possible with a P4 and Litchi. Your landing area being the most difficult aspect of the mission. Think of a funnel,...... and use prop guards. You can bounce this quad off a wall with prop guards on. Your landing zone could be built like large funnel in some sort of upside down pyramid shape. Or simplified (depending on your layout) by just having a guide wall of some sort. Let's say the bird comes in 5 foot off course, this guide wall with prop guards installed, would push the quad over and guide it in.

I'm having a hard time explaining this in writing, but I got it all figured out in my head all ready lol :).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen