Problems with iPad reading some video files.

Reaction score
I have a weird question. I now have a memory card reader for my iPad it works well most of the time imported all 12 videos from one flight but I didn't take any photos. Second flight imported all photos videos but all the videos taken after I took a couple of photos won't play they said Unsupported video format. Third flight same thing all videos played up until I took a photo then same thing they imported but won't play on iPad. Everything plays on laptop? Weird. I now tend to shot videos then take a few photos at the end of the flight. Any ideas? I have reformatted the memory card but didn't sort the issue.

Thanks Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Second flight imported all photos videos but all the videos taken after I took a couple of photos won't play they said Unsupported video format. Third flight same thing all videos played up until I took a photo then same thing they imported but won't play on iPad. Everything plays on laptop? Weird.
Not really weird. The ipad just doesn't have a program to play that particular video format.
I'd guess you are shooting in mp4 format.
If you changed that to the alternative video format (.mov) the ipad would have no problem.
Or .. you could download another player that plays everything ... look for VLC media player.

But why does the format change after taking a photo that is the weird bit for me. I would understand if it didn't read any of the video files but reads all videos up until you take a photo?

VLC player can that be downloaded on to a iPad?

On another note can you recommend a decent editing software for my laptop. I only use my iPad as the texted option's on iMovies is better than movie maker on my laptop. I don't mind a bit of a learning curve as long as once I have learned how to use the software it looks good and is quick to edit trim video clips.

Thanks Jamie

But why does the format change after taking a photo that is the weird bit for me. I would understand if it didn't read any of the video files but reads all videos up until you take a photo?

I was just guessing as that's the most common reason to see that message. Check your files to see if they are mixed .mov and .mp4.
I don't know why the setting would change as always holds on whatever I set.

Here's VLC for Apple:
VideoLAN - Official Download of VLC media player for Mac OS X

On another note can you recommend a decent editing software for my laptop. I only use my iPad as the texted option's on iMovies is better than movie maker on my laptop. I don't mind a bit of a learning curve as long as once I have learned how to use the software it looks good and is quick to edit trim video clips.

Thanks Jamie

VLC Mobile for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch

with my new ipad mini 2 and iPhone 6s..I was seeing the same "file format not supported".. if I bring the video file into iMovie program, it will open the file and allow me to edit, then save to pics folder... the iPhone 6s will work with the 4k videos but my ipad will only work up to 2.7 res

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj