Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Problems with getting home

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by shawwellpete, Sep 23, 2015.

1. shawwellpete

Hi,

I am very new to my P3 S, have only had it since the weekend and only been able to fly it a couple of times. I am struggling a bit with the GPS functions so had a little play this morning before work.

I calibrated the compass, locked onto 7 satellites and tried to set the home point while it was on the ground in the centre of the lawn which didn't work, it gave an error, "home point failed", I think. I tried hovering and that seemed to work, allowing me to set the home point. I flew 150 ft or so and away about 300ft and then manually came closer to home (about 30ft) . At this point I pressed return to home and the P3 slowly landed exactly where it was.

Any ideas where I could be going wrong?

2. williamjamesfpv

I can't remember where I read this, but I remember reading something about having a minimum of 10GPS satellite locks if you want to have a solid home lock. You mentioned that your P3 only had 7 so that may be the source of the problem.

shawwellpete likes this.
  3. rockydog

Phantom needs to be more than 20 metres (60 ft)away from you when you activate RTH.....otherwise it will land where it is.

shawwellpete likes this.
  4. williamjamesfpv

@rockydog is correct. I misread your post and understood it thinking you activated RTH from 150 feet away. Minimum 20m is the preset rule or it will just land. That said, I can almost swear I read the 10GPS thing somewhere.... ?

shawwellpete likes this.
  5. shawwellpete

Thanks guys, I'll try return to home from further away!

6. N017RW

The problem with basing it on something you read, unless from DJI, is that you [likely] don't know the source. 'Tales grow taller down the line' and often these things become exaggeratted.

7. happytreefriends

I get Successful Home Lock with only 6 Satellites.

8. msinger

Approved Vendor

Correct. 6 satellites is the minimum.