Problems with Dronexpert.nl QuickRelease and GoPro Hero4

Reaction score
I got my quick-release kit from Dronexpert.nl yesterday. I followed their video instructions for removing the Vision+ camera, installing the quick-release plate, attaching the camera to the Vision+ sleeve, and reconnecting. I flew it, and everything worked just as it did before.

Then I tried to do the same for my new GoPro Hero 4, but their video instructions didn't show how to install that. I found DJI's instructions for installing their HD-3D gimbal to a standard Phantom 2, so I followed those. I got everything attached, and when I powered it up, I could see the GoPro's video on the Vision+ app. I now have three problems:

• 1) The video on the Vision+ app has waves of video interference. This occurs both with and without the HD-3D's anti-interference module installed. This occurs when I am recording at 4K and 1080p. This doesn't make the GoPro unusable, but it is disconcerting.
  • 2) I am unable to tilt the camera with the up and down buttons on the Vision+ app. I am able to tilt it by pressing the button above those and tilting my phone, but it takes about 20 seconds to tilt the full 90 degrees. I have not installed the tilt lever on my remote or the Y-cable on my copter, but the phone-tilt success indicates that that is not necessary. Update: Dronexpert.nl sent me a firmware upgrade for the quick-release that solves this problem. It was specific to the Android version 1.0.54 of the Vision+ app.
  • 3) When I fly with the GoPro, the copter shakes and wobbles something fierce; the resulting video is virtually unusable. It seems like a balance problem, but I would assume that they would have tested this before shipping it. Update: I was using the wrong set of dampeners. I had installed a black set that came with the HD-3D, which turned out to be too weak. I installed the white set that also came with the gimbal. They are much stronger, and have solved the shaking/wobbling problem.

I have asked for help from Donexpert.nl, but haven't received any help yet (Update: yes I have). Has anybody else tried this out?

Im interested in how much you had to drop including the price of the gopro4 to do what you are doing? I hope someone has a fix for the two issues you are having...might take awhile before more of us take that leap.

I seriously doubt anyone here knows about this. After spending all the money they should help you.

I can only make suggestions as not many of us has taken this path.

1. Are you using the side USB port or Back Hero port of h3-3d?

2. install the lever and Y cable. Using the phone app is horrid. 7th channel is the talk of the town. You'll want this.

3. Check all the props and use new ones if you can. Are you observing the phantoms flight behaviour or the recorded footage? If footage, then you need to balance some nickles or change dampeners. If flight, do an IMU calibration. Fly naked as a control. Fly with the plus camera. Fly with the GOpro. Observe with the GPS and see if you are dropping Sats from interference. Make sure gopro wifi is off.

Don't mind, but how much was the setup?
Thanks

1) I am using the USB port; that is what the DJI instruction video told me to do. I read the manual again, and it makes no reference to the back hero port:

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .02_en.pdf

And finally, I don't see any connector on the HD-3D or in its box that might connect to the back port. My reading indicates that I have the newer version of the HD-3D, which should be a good thing.

2) I am not going to install the lever and Y cable until I get tilt working via the app.

3) The props were just fine before I installed the quick-release, and they continue to work fine when the Vision+ camera and sleeve are attached. The shaking occurs only with the GoPro sleeve, and it is very noticeable to the naked eye. You mention the dampers; I am using a set of black dampers that came with the H3-3D gimbal. I will try a set of white dampers tomorrow.

Thanks.

Have you updated your P2V+ to the most recent software update? I know that shouldn't have anything to do with it but I don't know if the Dronexpert instructions say it's only been tested and works on a certain version.

Mine is on the way in the mail and I'm not so sure I'm going to install it. The deal breaker for me was that you can't control the shutter and start/stop recording with the GoPro via the Vision app. I didn't know that before I placed my preorder because I was sure that was a given when they stated "Full Vision App Compatibility". They wouldn't offer me a refund either.

I have not updated my software.

The Dronexpert.nl web site and Facebook page made it clear that the Vision+ app could not control the GoPro's shutter. I guess you just missed that. That's not a deal-breaker for me, but the tilt and wobble certainly are.

I heard from Dronexpert.nl this morning. They have reproduced the tilt problem, and believe it is related to the latest version of the Vision+ app (1.0.54) running on Android. They are investigating it.

Mako79 said:
or change dampeners.Thanks
This was the problem.

I initially installed a set of black dampeners that came with the HD-3D gimbal. They were too soft and too bouncy.

I replaced them with a set of white dampeners that also came with the HD-3D gimbal. I should have chosen them first, as they were the dampeners inserted into the mounting plate. They are much stronger than the black ones, which are apparently appropriate in colder weather.

Thanks!

votes that the tilt function does not work with the new app version. I have two phones with the old app version and the new version. so the new ones will not tilt function work. I got my quick release today and tried it, awesome

airdrone said:
I got my quick release today and tried it, awesome
Have you tried the GoPro? What vibration are you seeing? The new dampeners helped a lot, but I'm still seeing a lot of jello, which I never see with my Vision+ camera.

Be interested to see how this works. You are the first post I have ran across.

I plan going down this same route but its a lot of money with GP4, gimbal and the adapter and wanted some unbiased reviews first :)

Nope. I didn't hear back from Dronexpert.nl on the tilt problem, and it's been too stormy to fly anyway.

InterMurph said:
Nope. I didn't hear back from Dronexpert.nl on the tilt problem, and it's been too stormy to fly anyway.
:eek: I had pretty good service from Drone Expert through E-mail. They seem to test their products before releasing them, unlike DJI software and firmware developers. :lol:
I suspect the wobble you describe may be related to gain settings. When weather permits, you might bump up your gains with the gopro setup.

The wobble went away almost completely when I switched dampeners. I still have a slight jello problem.

But I don't see how any of this could be related to gain settings, since this happens when I have no sticks engaged. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

:D I bumped mine up (after adding more weight) and the bird became much more stable with or without stick input. If you increase too much, it gets twitchy. It fixed my jello, worth a try...increments of 10.

Dronexpert.nl sent me a firmware upgrade for the quick-release. I upgraded it, and the tilt problem is solved.

They even added a nice new feature for the GoPro: the image-quality setting controls the speed of the tilt, for both the Vision+ app and the 7th-channel lever. It doesn't work for the Vision+ camera, but I wish it did. I shoot in raw mode, so I don't care about the JPG quality setting.

Hopefully I can find some time to fly tomorrow, to try and sort out the remaining jello problem.

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.