Problems with brand new Phantom 2 Vision+

dalebb said:
Palcuz said:
dalebb said:
Palcuz said:
I hope one of these companies produces new motors. The way these cheapo motors/leads are setup is ludicrous. Anybody that has seen a quality brushless motor system knows that the motor windings should end at a solid wiring block, where better/thicker gauge/flexible wires can be soldered to. These motors on the phantoms and elsewhere in the flying rc world are built to fail in my point of view. An American or European company would be too fearful of lawsuit to have such poor quality control/design. The reason that many rc enthusiasts pay a bit more is for quality and they buy more because of it. Poor quality and failure usually drives buyers away. Why would DJI risk this?

With Chinese scooters I have heard that most companies do business until quality issues destroy the company. Then they change the name of the company and keep shipping to America etc. Is this DJI strategy?

I have not seen too many of the high priced larger multirotor motors but It would be a shame to see the same type of design. I hope other manufacturers capitalize on this simple (possibly costly) design improvement for multirotors.
I have to inject my opinion here having been an eletrician for over 30 years (automation/ motor control) is that the less contact joints you have the better. the motor and wires are fine, it's the solder joint at the ESC board that will fail if you have a cold solder joint.

With all due respect to your 30 years...

I completely agree about the less joints the better, especially since you are assuming the solder joint would be prepared poorly (cold). Having on connection wire to Esc/winding would be a good scenario if the wires were not so thin and of a brittle nature.

Are the motors that you use in automation control the same configuration as these cheapo Motors? Same wiring directly from armature to controller.? I just would not know what is used in industry. Automotive starters, alternators usually use durable changeable wiring ...

We have to take a solder joint somewhere right ? The better designed brushless motor systems are robust at the solder points/boards to endure the stresses of vibration and large shock as well as to create low heat. Some motors are built to have the solder points changeable.
You have a point and I can see it. I personaly do not like solid wire or soldered connections, what I would look at is the thickness of the copper on PCB/ESC where the connection is made and how and/or this is a good wet weld. As I have seen in other posts maybe the varnish on the wire was not removed making a cold joint and only the very end of the wire has continuity. small wire at this short distance can carry more amps than it is rated for, but the joint will be the hot spot.
I

I questioned one joint in one of my PH2 to be "colder"

When I was soldering another uav motor with cheapo wiring the heat is critical and has to be distributed perfect and quickly with these thin wires or you brittle them or have a cold joint. That's why I was driving home the point about making better motors to support our more and more expensive pieces of toy. I do understand that this thread was about solving a failure.

I think we need a better source or design of motor/wires to solve this particular issue OR the Chinese solderererers need to get better at their craft.

I pray that a very well known respectable USA company jumps into the uav game such as gopro and takes it seriously.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers