Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Problem With Video Display

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Horton, May 19, 2015.

1. Horton

I am unable to upload a clip of the video I am having the problem with but for a short amount of time on the footage you can see faint horizontal black and white lines flickering. Whats causing this? thanks.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Was it sunny out? That often happens when the sun shines through props.

A lens hood usually resolves that issue. I cannot recommend any for the P3 -- but, you should try something like this.

#2 msinger, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  3. Horton

It was and I was facing into the sun but I have never seen that effect before. Are you confident that would be it? thanks

4. tcope

Well, its not like we have much to go on but I'd certainly agree that is what is sounds like. Put a piece of black tape on the top of the camera next time and see if it goes away. The tape should be 1/2 on the camera and 1/2 over hanging the front of the camera.

Horton likes this.
  5. Benjamin Jarvis

I am having a similar issue, but I was hoping that I could get confirmation that it's because the sun was shining though the props. If not, what could be the issue?

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

Benjamin Jarvis, nothing else causes that issue. If you don't want to try a lens hood, then try an ND filter. You'll probably need one anyhow at some point -- especially if you plan on editing your videos afterwards.

7. Benjamin Jarvis

Have any suggestions for ND filters?

8. msinger

Approved Vendor

You can find all of the commonly used lens filters here.

So far, I have tried the Ditzler Photo filters and the SRP GND16-8 and SRP ND16/CP filters. The Ditzler Photo filters are inexpensive, tedious to handle, and most likely will be tough to clean. The SRP's have glass lenses -- which worked out well for me over the weekend when I had to clean some bugs from them. I don't think the Ditzler Photo filters would have held up well with the amount of pressure I had to use to clean them. The only thing I don't like about the SRP's is that it takes a fair amount of force to slide the filter on and off. They could have made them a bit looser. SRP is the only company that makes a graduated filter -- which works very well when the sky is bright.

A lot of people are using the Polar Pro 3-pack or 6-pack. If you decide to go with those, get the 6-pack. The ND4 and PL filters will not be usable for most people -- unless it's always very cloudy where you fly.

The TACO-RC filters look nice too. I'm thinking of picking those up next. A lot of people are saying they are nicer than the Polar Pro filters. And, those are people who have tried both.

#8 msinger, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015