Problem with Phantom and GoPro Hero3+

Reaction score
So i've used this combo many time before. I usually take my gopro out of the zenmuse after flight as I use it for other things.

On this flight, the gopro was fully charged before install. turned on the phantom and let it warm up. Turned gopro on. FPV check was good. video and iOSD both streaming fine. But when i push 'record' on the gopro and took off, after the picture started to flicker every couple of seconds and I would loose video for about half a second but not the iOSD. This kept happening for about 30 seconds then the video stopped completely. After landing the gopro was off and would not turn on again.

When i got home I took the gopro out of the zenmuse and it turned on and would record just fine. tried again in the zenmuse with the P2 on the ground. Video stream is fine if the gopro is not recording but as soon as you hit erecord, the video stream stops ever couple of seconds for a half second. The timer on the gopro also freezes in time with the video stream freezing and timer only updates every couple of seconds. When it gets to about 30 seconds the gopro freezes completely and turns off.

Memory card has worked fine for months so dont think thats suddenly become an issue. Also tried the gopro on photo mode too. It streams fine when not taking a photo but every ten seconds when it snaps a jpg, the video stream goes blank again.

Anyone else had or heard of similar issues?

I had a similar issue as well. I tracked my problem down to shooting both photo and video mode. Upon further investigation, when I was shooting just in continuous photo mode, the screen would blank out on my FPV for a second, then return until the next shot (at 5 second interval). Shooting faster than 5 seconds would just basically leave my screen blank. I had no issue with this on my hero 3.
This may not be your problem at all, but i hope this will give you an idea of where to possibly look.

Which Zenmuse? Does it plug into the back of the Zenmuse or is there a cable on the side?

Neil, is your camera firmware fully updated?

Hi, you probably have your camera set up to take pictures every 3-5 seconds, check your gopro settings and select video camera, good luck

Sana

Thanks for all the replies. It's the Zenmuse H3-2D.

Yes originally the camera was set to take photos and video. But when i bench tested on the ground I also changed it back to video only mode and the issue was the same.

I beleive the camera is on latest firmware (gopro app is set to check automatically) but I will check for sure tonight. And before anyone says anything, no i dont have the wifi turned on when it's mounted in the Zenmuse.

I always turn on the GoPro first, I have had problems when I turn on the Phantom first.
I use Phantom 2, Zenmuse H3 - 3D and GoPro 3 Black Edition.

On 1080/60fps I video comes and goes until the gopro turns itself off.

On 1080/30fps or 720/60fps it works flawlessly.

Would love to get 1080 and above working at 60fps

Need to correct my last statement. I get the issue regardless of the video mode or framerate. I get it on video, video+photo and photo.

Anyone else experiened this?

If anyone is interested, I sent the camera back to GoPro. Their service centre for the UK is based in the Netherlands, but they cover the cost of postage via UPS. Arrived there last Wednesday, still waiting to hear if they are going to fix/replace.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1