Problem with Phantom 2, fly-away/crash.

Reaction score
I can´t get my Phantom 2 to get a constant green light after I start it. Problem started after I had been flying far from where I normaly fly my Phantom, I had no problem flying there. When I got back to my hometown and I desided to empty my battery (like DJI recommend us to do now and then). Charged the battery, did a compass calibration in a open field where I have been flying without problems many times before. Turned off and then on the Phantom and did the start/warm up. But I never got the led to a constant green light. Turned off and then on the Phantom a coulpe of times with the same result.

Tested to fly it with the green light blinking and the S1 switch in GPS-mode, ended up with a fly-away into a small tree.
Did a new compass calibration. Turned off and then on the Phantom and did the start/warm up. But I never got the led to a constant green light. Turned off and then on the Phantom a coulpe of times with the same result.
Tested to fly it with the green light blinking and the S1 switch in ATTI-mode, ended up with a fly away / crash into the lawn.
In both test I could control it for 5-10 sec, then it just took off to the right until it crashed.
I have tried to calibrate the GPS, I have tried to calibrate the IMU and I have tried to calibrate the remote-control.

The video are done on my balcony just to show the problem, it´s the same when I try to start it in the open field.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mjv9XJLrhQ[/youtube]

I assume you've switched to NAZA mode since you're using ATTI? In NAZA mode the lights are different, a flashing green is what you want...it means you have 6 or more satellites locked.

Leave it in GPS mode and it should fly fine like that. It's hard to tell if your crash in ATTI is due to a problem with the Phantom or just your unfamiliarity with the flight behavior in that mode.

I did change to NAZA-mode and added Home-lock and course- lock resently and it was the first time I flew in this field after that, but I have been flying in a different location without problems after I added the NAZA-mode.
The first crasch was done with the S1 on "GPS" and S2 on "Off", the second crash was with the S1 on "ATTI" and S2 on "Off".

Ok then the lights seem to be fine, but if you're still not able to control it properly even in GPS mode there's probably still some deeper issue. You mentioned that you tried to calibrate the IMU...was it not successful? I'd start with that, and then check your actual compass values (particularly the "mod" number) in the Assistant as well.

When I hooked it up to the assistant it said that the IMU was calibrated, but I did an calibration anyway. How do I know if the compass value are off?
Maybe I should just go back to Phantom-mode, but I really like the Home/course-lock function.

If your S1 and S2 switches are both in the up position then flying in NAZA mode shouldn't behave any different than flying in Phantom mode.

The Mod value for the compass should be somewhere near 1600.

GPS:
X 148-151
Y 7-12
Z 375-380
Mod 1350-1379
All figures move between these numbers all the time even thoe the Phantom are standing still in the exact same spot, is this normal? The Phantom are close to my lap top if that might interfear.

Under channel monitor the U are at -783 the X2 are 783 and X1 are -1000, this is with both S1 and S2 in the upper position (S1 GPS and S2 Off). Should it be like that?

ExtraKim said:
Mod 1350-1379
All figures move between these numbers all the time even thoe the Phantom are standing still in the exact same spot, is this normal? The Phantom are close to my lap top if that might interfear.

Jumping numbers are normal within certain ranges.

Your mod figures for the compass there look a little low, and that could be contributing to your problem. This vid shows you how to take it through a full re-calibration, beyond what the normal pre-launch dance does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT1rRE_UIg

I have a powerful subwoofer in my car and when I desided to empty my battery I just took off the porps and turned the Phantom on and put it on my backseat. That may have messed up the compass, since the magnet of the subwoofer only where ~12" away.

I did the magnet trick, I couldn´t get the MOD level higher then ~1400.

Still having problem with drifting, first take off and the Phantom took off to the right again. It did that three times but I managed to save it by moving the control stick to the left as much as possible.
It moves around even if I don´t touch the control sticks, maybe it´s time to go back to Phantom mode. :|

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cHycQRowTU[/youtube]

Kim - you seem to be taking off before you have GPS lock.

In your video above, when you take off at 1:02 you don't have a steady flashing green light. The rapid flashes shortly before that indicate "Course Lock" being set, not GPS lock. You need to wait for the SECOND set of rapid green flashes, followed by a slow steady green flash, before you take off. That accounts for the erratic flight.

By the time of your second take-off at 1:30 in the video you do have GPS lock, and the amount of drift you're getting there is entirely normal. Drifting within about a 2m radius, and 1m or so in height, is completely normal.

In summary, I don't think you have a problem.

I will give it one more try and if I can´t make it work, then I will go back to Phantom-mode. At least then I have the solid green when the Phantom are ready for take off.

Firstly I would do the compass calibration as per the manual, not holding it at arms length, I did it that way and it holds position perfectly.
Secondly, in Naza mode you need to wait for all the red leds to be out for GPS lock, so as already said, you are taking off in Atti and it will not hold position.

Did a new flight, waited a long time before I took off. Only green led flashing and I had no problem. Used course lock and ATTI - mode without problem.
Seem to have been pilot error causing the two crashes.

Thanks for all help.

To summarise, what you need to watch for (in Naza mode) are:

1. Rapid green flashes 30s after power-on. This indicates that course lock orientation has been set.
2. A second set of rapid green flashes. This indicates GPS lock has been achieved.
3. Steady slow green flashes.

You're then all set and good to take off. Remember, though: TWO sets of rapid green flashes, not one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl