Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Problem with panning while flying sideways

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Pigsnuck, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Pigsnuck

My Phantom 3 Pro has the problem that if I am flying sideways to the right (or left) instead of forwards, and I try turning to keep focus on a single object, then at first the camera pans quickly and then more slowly, even though I am using the same amount of stick. This used to work fine, but now it doesn't.

Do I need to calibrate something? I tried resetting all the parameters (gain, etc) to factory setting, but it didn't help.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Try changing the Gimbal Mode to "Follow" in the DJI Pilot application.

3. Pigsnuck

Thanks for the tip. I just checked, and it is already set to "follow".

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

Got a video so we can see?

5. Pigsnuck

Sure, hang on...

6. Pigsnuck

OK, this is not a perfect example.

- In the first second, I am flying sideways to the right and stop.
    - I then start flying sideways to the left and at the same time pan to the right to keep the building in the center.
    - As you see, the pan goes slow, then quite fast, then slow again. At this point I return both sticks to the center.

7. blade strike

It's all about getting the correct percentage of mixed stick input.. It does take practice to get smooth pans.

8. Pigsnuck

I see your point, but I can pan / turn smoothly in forward flight, just not sideways. It worked previously just fine. Every flight I practise flying around myself in a circle with me in the centre, but just lately, it's been impossible to control.

The only way for me to do it smoothly when flying sideways is to pan right a little, then left quite a bit, then right again to counteract the drone swinging faster after the first second or so.

Do you see what I mean? I will try to make a better video of the problem tomorrow.

9. blade strike

to do a smooth POI around a object you have to get a constant mix of yaw and aileron. Wind comes into play and you might be fighting against the braking sensitivity. Try turning it down and see if it makes it easier for you.

10. Pigsnuck

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly try that tomorrow.

The issue is in both directions (left and right), and consistently reproducible, so if it doesn't work, I will definitely be able to post a better video tomorrow.

11. fhagan02

turn your stick expos curve down to .30 in the app. Also braking down to 70. I had to do this and the handling is much more forgiving than at the default .40 or .50

That's said this is a tricky maneuver to pull off smoothy. Practice is everything. Here's my first test... notice the first tractor shot. Took me about 8 tries but with the sticks set to .30 and braking at 70 it was much more doable.

#11 fhagan02, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Jbundy63 likes this.
  12. Jbundy63

Awesome video @ fhagan02 Is that shot in 4K?

13. 4wd

4wd

There is a complication in that when you start (and end) any yaw motion, the gimbal is trying to smooth the motion so it can seem the response is not direct.
    So the first and last part of this kind of clip are the hardest to get right
    You can see it doing this playing with the controller on the desk.

14. fhagan02

Yes and thank you. But edited it on a 1080 timeline.

15. Pigsnuck

Do you mean on the desk in the simulator? That thing with the gimbal trying to smooth it out is certainly something to consider. I will do a test to see if it is the whole copter turning too fast or just the gimbal.

Perhaps someone else can try panning while flying sideways and confirm if this is also a problem for them at the start of the pan?